PDA

View Full Version : I took a chance!

05-14-2002, 04:08 PM
Last night...last night was Mondy night... last night I played in the Monday night (duh) NLH tournament at the O'rleans. I played fairly well. I played two hands during the rebuy period. All in before the flop on both hands. The first hand I had AhKh. Late position raised to T100, the button called and me in the BB moved in T255 and was called by both. initial raiser had J,J and the button had A,Ko. I lost to the other A,K two flush draws are better than one. I rebought. Now at T600. I limp in with AnTh. A loose player (the J,J who had also rebouth) raises all in. I went with my instincts (remeber this is rebuy period) and called. His KdJd beat my ATh. Rebuy!

I played very well from their on. I won only one hand with a set of queens but it was enough to get me through better than half the field. I got to the 150 - 300 blind level with T800 and was lucky enough to double(+) through on the first hand of the level. I had about T1500 after posting my T300 big blind. There was no small blind. The cut off limps. The cut off won the previous hand with the 8s,2s after limping in. The button also limps. I look down and see 7,2o and check. The flop comes Qd,7c,2c. I didn't think I moved. All-in. The cutoff didn't hesitate. He called. the button folded. the turn was an offsuit four. I felt good about it until my opponent showed me Qh,4h. I was done. Could I have played differently here? I don't think so.

Anyway I come home and get beat up playing 3 online tournaments. Mind you I was 5 wins for 10 entries with 2 seconds before last night. I went to sleep unhappy.

I told you all that to tell you this. I played another onlne tourney (single table) a few moments ago. I won. I won on the strength of one hand. It was heads up. I was in the Big blind with 2 sevens. My opponent raised I reraised and he rerarised and I called. The flop came K,J,8o. Ahorrible flop for my hand. I had T2330 out of T8000 left so when he bet I was about to fold but thought for a minute. The one thing I knew about this guy was that he would bet with nothing. So I tought some more. Then in the way of Bob Morgan I decided to put him on a hand I could beat and called. I put him on A,Q. In fact he had A,T and I crippled him and won the next hand and the tourney. I took a chance! Sometimes it works.

vince

05-15-2002, 07:47 AM
Vince....

Could U have played it differently? Sure U could have, but what would have been the difference? The one thing U didn't say was how big the cut-offs stack was?

Given that you had mentioned that he had won the prior hand playing 82s in mid late position, what was your mindset in regard to his play? I'd guess that U'd have to figure him as one of those "limp with almost anything & see the flop" kind of players?

As we both know, these guys can be pretty dangerous. I guess it all boils down to your read on him. A lot of these guys will automatically call any all-in bet if they flop top pair & they have U outstacked. You love it when that happens, unless they connect with their rag kicker. Bottom 2 pr. is a chancy hand. In your opinion, what would he have done had U checked the flop, or had you bet the pot instead of moving allin?

If you think that U could have gotten him to muck his hand with a check-raise allin over the top bet, then perhaps that was a a better play?

Had the same kind of thing happen to me last week @ FW. Late position limp with QJo. Flop comes QJ5rb. I bet the pot when it comes to me. BB flat calls. I don't like that at all. turn is a rag, and I go allin without hesitation (and thinking it through, I may add). BB was on a rush, and couldn't get his money into the pot fast enough! He turns over his pp5's & I'm history. Duh!!!

Guess I should have payed more attention to his flat call, eh??

Beats me, man. The more I learn about this game, the less I know.

I do know that I have a tendency to overplay what can be too thin an edge sometimes.

In hindsight on your hand, could that be the case?

Anyhow, enough of my very early in the morning, not enough coffee ramblings........

B

05-15-2002, 08:30 AM
dear vince,

i am one of the many peons on 2 + 2 who hunger for the knowledge you bestow so graciously. i need to associate a being with this massive intelligence. i fly off to the city without clocks for a 10 day degenerate gamble off. i would just like to shake your hand. i admit i look funny, and some people do not want to be seen with me, but if i could just say hi across a room or something...it would mean the world to me..... i have no comminicable diseases...

thanks for considering...

scalf

05-16-2002, 12:44 AM
Wait, you think I have something going when I go to Las vegas for 3 or 4 days after driving past approximately 17,476,897,284,987,000,000,000 sagebrush to get there? You're going for 10 whole days at once! Enjoy. GL. Say hi to Vince for me. You'll catch up with him and he will exceed even your lofty expectations.

05-16-2002, 04:50 PM
scalf,

It will be my pleasure to meet with you. I like going to Bellagio so if you could be there at spme time and let me know when I'll meet you there. Make it in the evenning and Mason and David may be there.

Vince

05-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Myrtle,

I went over and over this hand. I concluded that at this point in the tournament I made the right decision. If no one calls I pick up T900 and if someone calls as the cuttoff did I'm a big favorite to almost tripple up. Now I'm in position to wait for a hand and maybe make the money. My opponent had 5 outs twice. I got unlucky. No regrets. However, the question:"Would you play the same way if it were the World Series of Poker?" still lingers in my mind.

Vince

05-17-2002, 10:56 PM
Vincenzo........

I didn't say U played it wrong;

The read here, IMO, is the key. If U check with the intention of cr'ing allin, will he fold his Qtrash?

If he won't, then as I said, it doesn't matter.

But, if he will, then I think that play has a better chance of succeeding.......

Have U gotten Greg's opinion?....I'd be curious to know what he thinks......