PDA

View Full Version : Prudent amount to datamine before taking shot (cross-post)

pfkaok
12-07-2004, 08:11 PM
I first put this in mid-high, but I realized I might get better respones, and it could actually be more appropriate for this forum:

I think my BR is ready for me to take a shot at Party 15/30, and hopefully stay there as long as I don't hit a 150BB downswing right away... anyways, what is a good # of hands to datamine at that level so that I can feel comfortable sitting in a random game?? It seems that there's about twice as many 15/30 (full) games as 5/10 (full) going at most times, and that there's about 1.5-2 times as many 3/6 games going as 15/30. Not sure what that translates to, but would 20k hands be good??

Also, I'm thinking of maybe playing only 1-2 games to start while datamining at 10 other 15/30 tables so that I'll be easing into it while at the same time building up a good DB.

Any advice from 15/30 players who have recently moved up in this period of datamining convenience?? Or from players who have built it up the old-fashioned way, as to how long it took them before they had good stats on "enough" of the players?

pfkaok
12-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Sorry for the bump, but I have a hard time believing that nobody on here has an opinion on this

IndieMatty
12-08-2004, 12:35 AM
stands on soapbox

"I think data mining is wrong"

gets off

pfkaok
12-08-2004, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
stands on soapbox

"I think data mining is wrong"

gets off

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, dang... does this mean I'm going to hell?

IndieMatty
12-08-2004, 01:34 AM
No no...When St. Peter see's your avatar, he will waive you right in.

pfkaok
12-08-2004, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No no...When St. Peter see's your avatar, he will waive you right in.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA. YEEESSS!!! Everything's commin up Millhouse!!!

Freakin
12-08-2004, 01:50 AM
I woudl keep on dataming till you have data on more than 50% of players during your normal hours. I'm not too familiar with 15/30, but I'm sure there are not nearly as many players as the lower limits. I'd be happy going to a table at my regular hours and seeing 4-5 players with notes on them. Also, why not just start mixing in one or two 15/30 tables after you get some good data? I don't see the need to make the jump from 5/10 to 15/30 on every table at once. I may be wrong in that thinking, but paying 3x as much to see a flop or paying $60 to call down from the turn is likely to have you playing scared. I was pretty sure you mentioned 5/10 in your post, but i may have been mistaken. I doubt the jump from 10/20 to 15/30 is psychologically significant. Just datamine till you fill up your second database.

Freakin