PDA

View Full Version : A mass of rationalizations?

Octopus
12-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Immediately after I clicked call on the flop, I decided that I should have raised. I still think so. Never-the-less, below is the thought process I went through before I clicked.

MP3 and CO are loose passive (47/1 and 52/0 respectively, both with post-flop aggression numbers below 1.)

Button is TA-N (17/6, post-flop aggression = 1.5)

BB is sLP-P (24/4 and 1.1)

(By the way, not in this hand are EP3 (38/3/.8), and MP1 (32/4/.9). Let's hear it for table selection, if not seat selection.)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Flop: (11 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, ...

Overcards would be getting 7-1 and so might call even if I raise; I can't really protect my hand here against them. I won't be able to tell if I've been drawn out on if an overcard comes anyway (if I am ahead in the first place). (Note that gutshots will be making an error calling even 1 bet, since their straight outs are no good, so I don't want to protect my hand against them.) And the deciding factor: BB has a PRF% of 4% (over 200 hands), so I would say he has a greater than average likelihood of having a bigger pocket pair (and so having me drawing to the equivalent of 3 outs). Looking back now, I have seen him raise out of the blinds twice before this hand, with KK and AQo. For these reasons, I decided to call and wait to see the turn.

Do I play as badly as I think I do?

vegasvegas
12-07-2004, 08:30 PM
I'd be cautious if a passive player raises me pre-flop and then bets the flop out of position. I'd probably raise the flop and fold to a reraise. If he just calls your raise, he might give you a free river card, too.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
12-07-2004, 08:52 PM
On the flop you should raise or fold. Given your read of BB, I would lean towards folding.

Octopus
12-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Against a big pocket pair, I have two outs to a full house, plus a no-gap backdoor straight draw for about 3.5 outs equivalent. I am getting 12-1 at this point. Even if he showed me AA, I would be correct to call if I knew no one behind me would raise. My other opponents are all passive. Furthermore, there is a non-trivial chance that I am ahead. I am not folding.

vegasvegas
12-07-2004, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't count the backdoor straight for much. Anybody with a single 7 draws to the same straight, and depending conceivable hands like 44, 55, 99, TT can blow you away even if you hit 45, 59 or 9T for your straight.

Octopus
12-07-2004, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't count the backdoor straight for much. Anybody with a single 7 draws to the same straight, and depending conceivable hands like 44, 55, 99, TT can blow you away even if you hit 45, 59 or 9T for your straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

A seven is pretty unlikely (I have two of them). On the other hand, you are right; 1.5 outs is too much for the backdoor straight. 1 is probably reasonable though. I still think folding is too weak-tight here.

I am now back to thinking I played ok. If I thought it likely that I was ahead of the BB, a raise would be clear. If I were certain I were behind, a raise would be poor (and a fold would be possible, though as I said, I think wrong). It is this middle ground where I am confused.

If nothing good comes on the turn AND BB bets out again, I can fold then. If I pick up a straight draw, I can call a BB turn bet. Same if it gets raised behind me on the flop.

Louie Landale
12-07-2004, 11:30 PM
You are probably beat and definately out of position vis-a-vis the better and the other folks (you are sandwiched). This hand is NOT going to play easily on the turn or river unless you snag a 7. The best that can happen is everyone else folds and you are a small favorite wielding a hand you clearly wish was all-in (its a "scared" hand).

The rationalization you need in order to call a single bet is this: will you be able to play confidently on the turn? Usually that means folding without a second thought.

Nothing good about this situation. Toss for a single bet.

- Louie

jclin
12-07-2004, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am now back to thinking I played ok. If I thought it likely that I was ahead of the BB, a raise would be clear. If I were certain I were behind, a raise would be poor (and a fold would be possible, though as I said, I think wrong). It is this middle ground where I am confused.

If nothing good comes on the turn AND BB bets out again, I can fold then. If I pick up a straight draw, I can call a BB turn bet. Same if it gets raised behind me on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think either a call or raise is good. Call is fine, but you don't gain information. Raise IMO is better, b/c if he calls, you'll most likely get a free turn and river card. If he 3-bets, you call, pray for a 7 9 or 5, and fold on turn to a bet if it is a blank.