PDA

View Full Version : Nomar signs 1-year deal

nolanfan34
12-07-2004, 07:28 PM
One year, $8 mil (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1940780).

This is interesting to me. Must be quite the incentive-laden deal, as I thought he could have probably milked a slightly larger long-term deal out of someone like Anaheim. I guess he's gambling that he can turn one good year into a better long term deal, if he can bounce back and have an injury-free 2005.

It will be interesting to see how this affects the market for Edgar Renteria and Orlando Cabrera, that's for sure.

What say you Boston fans? Surprised?

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2004, 07:32 PM
does this surprise anyone? Although this is a gamble, because he could have gotten a deal elsewhere for probably 3-4 years around 10 mill a year. If he does well next year he has the possibility of a 3-4 year deal around 13-14 mill(my guess atleast). If he has a bad year, probably see something around 3 years 6 mill a year.

wayabvpar
12-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Thank God he signed with the Cubs- it'll keep the Mariners from throwing money at his crippled ass.

daryn
12-07-2004, 09:46 PM
*yawn*

fatmongo
12-08-2004, 05:39 AM
OOOOOOOver
RAAAAAAted
Man, was I glad to finally see him go. I was crying for him to get traded 3 years ago. Now if they dump Pedro and Varitek, I could see myself getting into the Sox again.

hutz
12-08-2004, 09:55 AM
With incentives (apparently being primarily based on number of games played) that could bump the payout to $11MM, this will be much more in line with the market by the end of the year. I agree that he's overrated, but as an Astros fan I would have preferred he go somewhere other than the Cubs. I'd rather see them waste money signing someone less valuable. On the plus side, this might make it a little less likely they will make a serious play for Beltran.

Toro
12-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Frankly, I'm surprised the Cubbies offered him so much. All he has to do is play and he'll get the incentives which will boost the contract to 11 million. And I didn't hear of one other team that was even remotely interested in him.

I honestly thought he was going to end up with about 6 million.

tolbiny
12-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Hutz-
ever thought about changing your avatar to the outside shot of "I can't believe it's a Law firm"?
that was classic.

hutz
12-08-2004, 10:52 AM
I probably should change it sometime when I feel motivated. I think the "after" shot of the business card with "no money down" that he changes to read "no, money down;" removes the bar association logo from; etc., would be funny, too.

nolanfan34
12-08-2004, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With incentives (apparently being primarily based on number of games played) that could bump the payout to $11MM, this will be much more in line with the market by the end of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that clears some things up. I didn't see in the original article how much he could make in incentives.

Still will be interesting to see how this affects the price for Renteria and Cabrera. I think Renteria was expecting a multi-year deal at $10-$12 mil per season, and I think he'll have a harder time getting that with Nomar making an $8 mil base.

hutz
12-08-2004, 12:20 PM
I think you're right about Renteria -- especially because he had a so-so year by his standards. I just hope that doesn't make it easier for the Cardinals to sign him on the cheap. Same goes with Matt Morris, who might sign an incentive-laden contract with the Dirty Birds with an eye towards rebounding in 2005 and getting more money as a free agent going into 2006.

bugstud
12-08-2004, 12:20 PM
better than Alex Gonzalez, that's for sure.

I had wanted Renteria over Nomar if he was cheaper...looks like that may not have been the case.

ThaSaltCracka
12-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Renteria will get more than Nomar.

bosoxfan
12-08-2004, 12:42 PM
good move turning down 4 years 60 million Nomar.

nolanfan34
12-08-2004, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're right about Renteria -- especially because he had a so-so year by his standards. I just hope that doesn't make it easier for the Cardinals to sign him on the cheap. Same goes with Matt Morris, who might sign an incentive-laden contract with the Dirty Birds with an eye towards rebounding in 2005 and getting more money as a free agent going into 2006.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to ESPN this morning, although I don't see it reported online, Morris did resign with the Cards for one year. Makes sense, like you said, since he just had his shoulder scoped, and will need to have a good showing in 2005 to get paid in 2006.