PDA

View Full Version : Super sats.

05-13-2002, 03:46 PM
I'm heading down to play some bigger satalites this week and would love to hear five basic strategies for tourneys. I came within fifteen people from getting into the wsop on my first try at the 30 tabel super satalite.(last year) Just thought someone could give some basic pointers to help my play...Than............Naz

05-13-2002, 04:22 PM
1) Play Tournament Turbo TX HE with settings identical to the real deal, and competition level set to tough. Play a zillion times, some of which starting at the beginning and others jumping straight to the final table. Play like every decision could cost you $1,000,000.

2) Read Coutier, McEvoy, Suzuki, Ciaffione and S&M's tourney and/or NL books. Take notes, highlight, quiz self, pretend it's for the most important test of your life and you have only today to study.

3) Get lucky here and there (hey, the cards ARE shuffled and luck plays a part). Understand the aspect of luck and learn to manipulate in its absence. Exploit in its bounty. Prepare for its unwanted and fleeting partnerships with the enemy.

4) Don't be afraid to push all-in when you have a good chance to be successful, and if it will get you ahead in terms of expectation (do an Internet search for the concept of the "MIS" in NLHE, such as exploited by Jesus).

5) Return to #1 above.

Caveat: I am in no way an expert on anything, in any manner. I just pretend to be edumucated. /images/wink.gif

05-13-2002, 05:53 PM
1) No. This is about the worst thing you could do. Even if the program was half way realistic it is not a good idea to play too much without interspersing real life tournaments. Wilson's Tournament Limit HE program is not very good. The No-Limit is DREADFUL.

Andy.

05-13-2002, 09:26 PM
There is no counter strategy for my suprisingly simple yet insanely effective system. Simply raise all-in every hand that you are dealt regardless of your hole cards. The pros would be pulling their hairs out of frustration if you follow this technique to the letter. It's a full proof system to instant riches. Trust me.

05-14-2002, 04:33 AM
John - Here's the counter strategy. Your opponents let you get away with stealing blinds for a while. No one plays until they have a very superior hand like AA or KK. Then you're a huge underdog. You may get lucky and bust a player or even a few players but eventually you go bust yourself.

Buzz

05-14-2002, 05:06 AM
I think maybe Buzz is missing the humour here, either that or he's being even more homourous without being funny.

Anyway i tried it and it doesn't work. i was early chip leader after stealing T30 in blinds but i got called on the 3rd hand. After that the 30 chips i went allin for were not enough to scare anyone out.

05-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Thanks John, but I don't need any more $$--already got rich with the John Patrick Blackjack system

05-14-2002, 12:21 PM
Gee..thanks guys...the only thing helpfull was the five stepper guy and even he was shot down. I feel ready now...JK...Naz

05-14-2002, 12:33 PM
Naz,

I didn't answer (except to shoot the Wilson Software guy down - it had to be done) because your question was a bit vague. Also it sounded like you wanted some pointers for Super-satellites, a format which I have hardly played at all.

I would recommend Sklansky's book because it focusses on the differences between cash and tournament play. Apart from that, why not post some specific questions about areas you're not sure about and we'll do what we can.

Andy.

05-14-2002, 01:30 PM
The true John Patrick System(endorsed by RussGCA.

In JP's slot system every time you win a pull you take half of the win and take them out of play. The same system works for poker. Every time you win a hand, just take half of the pot and put it in your pocket. After 5 events (and after the rebuy period ends) go back in your pocket and remove all chips. Place them on table. good luck!!!

05-14-2002, 01:33 PM
About 3 years ago I discussed this with a friend who made a final table this year (and shall remain nameless). He thought was from the beginning of the sat, it should be move or muck. Basically any hand you want to play, just move in with. he recommended pairs 66 and up. And most big aces.

Personally I am using a different system this year . . .

I am walking up to the cage and handing them a sh**load of money. THEN I am going to enter satellites. This way I can negotiate beneficial deals with people who do not already have seats. And I wont inadvertantly blow my main event bankroll on random sat's and lose my nerve to buy in like I did 3 years ago.

05-15-2002, 05:41 AM

05-15-2002, 05:45 AM
Funny story about this. Last night I'm playing in a CCCPoker tournament. My girlfriend wants to go to bed and wants me to join. OK, just let me lose here (couldn't possibly just turn it off). All-in. No one calls. Win blinds. Three times later someone called my K5 with AJ. Win with a pair of fives. Damn. All-in a couple more times before I get a caller. 26 offsuit for me AK suited for him. Pair of twos takes it. I'm now chip leader. Finally lost in third place like 20 minutes later (girlfriend wasn't too happy). :-)