PDA

View Full Version : AJs in BB - steal raise by button and SB calls

Fiddler
12-07-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure if this is playing stupid so please set me straight. I had no numbers on these guys during the session but SB was kind of tight and had showed down reasonable starting hands. Button seemed to play over half his hands and was a bit on the passive side post-flop but not a calling station and he could certainly throw in a raise or bluff. I had also played a hand HU with him a couple of orbits earlier where I folded when the river paired a J. I'm not sure he noticed or remembered it but maybe.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Do I want to show my hand down with this board? And if so should I check-call, check-call instead?

River: (9.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Grisgra
12-07-2004, 06:32 PM
I'm generally folding to the turn-raise. I don't think it's a bluff often enough to call down, but you *will* certainly seem some bluffs there.

Fiddler
12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Do you bet the turn and fold for the raise? It seems like I have to be able to put him on a queen of some sort, 22 or 77 for the fold to be correct, otherwise I'm drawing live am I not? If he has A2 or A7 he will be counterfeited by an ace (and my kicker will win) and if he has a pocket pair lower than jacks I have enough odds to at least see the river even if I only check-call (assuming I win an extra bet on the river). I guess my question is can you really be that sure that he is raising a set or trips?

Rubeskies
12-08-2004, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess my question is can you really be that sure that he is raising a set or trips?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but there are other possible hands that he could have that scare you. AA KK and JJ. AA and KK are unlikey but I've seen stranger stuff. A semi-bluff with AK sucks for you as well because you only have 3 outs.

Also, if you think he might be bluffing than you'd have to call two bets to see a showdown. You wouldn't be able to fold you missed 6 outer.

girgy44
12-08-2004, 04:11 AM
He has more than 3 outs, a 2 or 7 chops the pot and with the size of the pot at this point that has to be taken into consideration.

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Button showed 89o and MHIG.

Maybe I'll check-call it next time... and hope for more AA hands instead of hands like this. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

William Jockusch
12-09-2004, 05:50 AM
I don't much like your play of betting, then calling him down. Either check-call down the turn and river, or bet the turn and fold to a raise.