PDA

View Full Version : Ted Kennedy Proposes Monument to Himself

Broken Glass Can
12-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Ted Kennedy Proposes Monument to Himself (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/12/7/123047.shtml)

Teddy Kennedy is raising a reported $3.5 million to pay for an oral history project he conceived that will memorialize his life.

The project is unique in that it will be the first ever oral history of a sitting U.S. senator.

The project will be carried out by the Miller Center for Public Affairs at the University of Virginia, which has created oral histories of President Jimmy Carter and is doing others on presidents George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton.

According to the Boston Globe, however, it has never made a senator the subject of a historical study.

The newspaper reported that the Miller Center will interview more than 100 of Kennedy's former and current staff members, colleagues from both sides of the aisle, family and other notable figures who have known him.

Kennedy himself will generously donate 75 hours of his time for talks with the center. Stephen Knott, associate professor at the Miller Center, told the Globe that Kennedy will not control who is interviewed or what questions are asked.

"This is very unusual," historian Michael R. Beschloss told the senator's hometown newspaper. "Even an important senator or president will write a memoir or do some interviews with a ghost writer, and that is basically it," he explained.

Knott promised that the project would not avoid the more unpleasant aspects of Kennedy's life and career. While the questions have not been written yet, historians said they expect that the center would address the Chappaquiddick episode and other nonpolicy-related matters.

"The way we've approached it is that nothing is off-limits," Knott said. "The study is going to cover the whole of his life, including his pre-Senate years and up to the present," Knott told the Globe, which noted that despite the many books, articles and movies that deal with the Kennedy family, Teddy's interviews will probably reveal new information or anecdotes.

And while Knott said Kennedy will have no control over the final product, his funding and heavy involvement in the project gives him an unusual opportunity to create a lasting monument to himself.

tek
12-08-2004, 12:58 PM
I can't wait for the part about him and his nephews accosting women while drunk /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
12-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks. Funniest thing I've read this week. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

coughman1975
12-08-2004, 01:06 PM
he is such a humble man. what an idiot. if you wanna ask me, and you dont, anyone who wants to bild a momunent to themselves should be voted out of office...

jakethebake
12-08-2004, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he is such a humble man. what an idiot. if you wanna ask me, and you dont, anyone who wants to bild a momunent to themselves should be voted out of office...

[/ QUOTE ]
Well none of the other idiotic things he's done have gotten him voted out so... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Zeno
12-08-2004, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well none of the other idiotic things he's done have gotten him voted out so...

[/ QUOTE ]

Proof positive that mainly morons populate the state of Massachusetts.

If the above news article does not tip everyone in the direction of misanthropy, then you are not a thinking human being.

Ted Kennedy is an obese, drunken, vile, puss-filled bag of inane demagoguery, devoid of even a molecule of human decency, and steeped in so much hypocrisy and megalomania that he does not even realize what a farce and caricature he really is - and neither do his supporters.

Ted Kennedy should be tossed into a huge vat of 100% reagent grade hydrochloride acid. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Le Misanthrope

KJS
12-08-2004, 03:04 PM
This is certainly a very egotistical gesture, but as an archivist I think its a good thing. I wish more important decisionmakers would have an eye towards history. It will certainly improve our understanding of today's era in the future. Regardless of whether or not it turns out to be a biased exercise, for the bias itself and how it exhibits itself will be worthy of study in addition to the things that can be corroborated elsewhere.

KJS

jakethebake
12-08-2004, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is certainly a very egotistical gesture, but as an archivist I think its a good thing. I wish more important decisionmakers would have an eye towards history. It will certainly improve our understanding of today's era in the future. Regardless of whether or not it turns out to be a biased exercise, for the bias itself and how it exhibits itself will be worthy of study in addition to the things that can be corroborated elsewhere. KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine he'll say anything more meaningful than the crap he's been blabbering over the last 30 years, but I suppose it may be an opportunity for posterity to learn from the mistakes of their past. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

KJS
12-08-2004, 03:16 PM
As I understand it, he is not the only, or even main, subject of the interviews. Having some experience with projects of this sort, it is my guess that many more people will be interviewed and will say much more than him.

It is proper for me to infer that only people whose politics you agree with should leave historical documents for study by future generations?

KJS

jakethebake
12-08-2004, 03:37 PM
The way he mumbles and slurs, I wonder if anyone will even understand him on tape?

Broken Glass Can
12-08-2004, 04:48 PM
http://www.ytedk.com/car1sm.jpg
http://pro.lookingat.us/Olds88Clear.gif
http://www.findagrave.com/photos/101c/222/kopechnemaryjo3.jpg
http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnkerry.com/t_ken_ker.jpg

jakethebake
12-08-2004, 04:52 PM
http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnkerry.com/t_ken_ker.jpg

"What do you think about that, Ted?"
"I dunno. Lesh go get drunk and crash our cars. I'll introduce some legislation on it in the morning."

Broken Glass Can
12-08-2004, 05:00 PM
http://photopile.com/photos/dead/auctions/159433.jpg
http://www.glennbeck.com/leadstories/09-19-03/09-19-03.jpg

jakethebake
12-08-2004, 05:50 PM
OMG! Pull your shorts up, Ted!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

zaxx19
12-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Creme sauce on the broulee sir??

TomCollins
12-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Best Bumper Sticker Ever:

"Teddy Kennedy has killed more people with his car than I have killed with my gun" - picture of a handgun next to this quote.

hetron
12-08-2004, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well none of the other idiotic things he's done have gotten him voted out so...

[/ QUOTE ]

Proof positive that mainly morons populate the state of Massachusetts.

If the above news article does not tip everyone in the direction of misanthropy, then you are not a thinking human being.

Ted Kennedy is an obese, drunken, vile, puss-filled bag of inane demagoguery, devoid of even a molecule of human decency, and steeped in so much hypocrisy and megalomania that he does not even realize what a farce and caricature he really is - and neither do his supporters.

Ted Kennedy should be tossed into a huge vat of 100% reagent grade hydrochloride acid. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Le Misanthrope

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...why? If you look at all the legislation he tries to pass, it's mostly do-gooder trying to help people stuff. I'm not saying it always works, but the man tries. Not exactly the stuff that would push me towards misanthropy.

jakethebake
12-09-2004, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Umm...why? If you look at all the legislation he tries to pass, it's mostly do-gooder trying to help people stuff. I'm not saying it always works, but the man tries. Not exactly the stuff that would push me towards misanthropy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think we were trying not to turn this into a political thread. But aside from wether you agree or disagree with the fat old drunk's politics, I heard recently on the radio that he's introduced more legislation than any other senator in U.S. history. No, I haven't confirmed that fact but it's plausable. In my opinion, that in and of itself makes him a complete horse's ass. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tripdad
12-09-2004, 03:10 PM
as long as the funding is completely private, i see no reason why anyone would have a problem with this.

as far as this having a negative effect on your view of Kennedy, i understand that. then again, it is not possible for me to have a much lower opinion of his politics.

cheers!