PDA

View Full Version : Taking a quarter off from school question....

Sponger15SB
12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
I am under my moms health insurance, and she works for San Diego City Schools as a principal, so I get really freaking good coverage.

Now, if I were to take a quarter off from school, would I still be covered under her insurance during that time?

I know that I can recieve full coverage if I am a full time student until I am 25, however I am not sure whether there is something in her insurance which allows me to take a quarter off and still get covered.

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone out there has done this and what they did for health insurance, because that is my biggest fear right now if I do consider to take next quarter off.

Sponger15SB
12-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Nobody?

(bumping because I don't want this to get lost)

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2004, 05:49 PM
depends on your moms insurance. Some of them cover you until you are 25 if you live with your parents, or if you go to school. I think if you take on quater off the insurance company will probably not know that you took a quarter off. In fact I have done this twice and they didn't know/notice. I think you will be alright man.

Sponger15SB
12-07-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you will be alright man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, just wait until I talk to my mom and see if she freaks out! (btw, I pay for 90% of everything for myself, so its not like she can just cut me off, she'll just be freakin pissed if anything)....

Anyways, its really important because I am suppose to get elbow surgery within the next month or so to get 3 pins out of my arm, and also because I need to get my wisom teeth taken out very soon as well.

theBruiser500
12-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Hey sponger, how did you get that picture of me?

Blarg
12-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Jeez man that's expensive crap. Hope you don't leave anything up to guesswork and wind up making the wrong decision. Heck, even moms can make mistakes, and your mom isn't an insurance professional, so ... I don't think you're safe unless you see the written contract yourself.

theantelope
12-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Well, if you're only willing to do this if you're 100% sure you're covered, why not call the insurance company and ask?

If you still might risk it if they say no, you could always make an anonymous call.

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2004, 07:08 PM
dude, I think you'll be fine. I think for you to be denied you need to not be in school for more than half the year. Easiest thing to do is not tell the insurance co, because I doubt they will even know.

stabn
12-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Agreed. They aren't going to be checking on a regular basis.

IndieMatty
12-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Don't take next quarter off. People who take time off from school. They don't go back. Just tough it out and finish.

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2004, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. They aren't going to be checking on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]I think they check every year, or atleast at the start of the typical school year.

Sponger15SB
12-07-2004, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't take next quarter off. People who take time off from school. They don't go back. Just tough it out and finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finishing would take another 2 years plus 1-2 quarters more. So its not like a quarter off would really make that much of a difference in my desire to finish.

scrub
12-07-2004, 09:17 PM
You'll be able to pay a COBRA premium to keep your coverage. It will be big.

scrub

eggzz
12-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Ok, I work in the insurance industry but I deal with death and disability claims, rather than health claims. So... I can give you what I think happens:

I think they may only do random checks when you actually submit claims. If you had no office visits during the last year, they likely didn't do any checking. When you submit an actual claim, that is where the eligibility factors come in. An analyst actually has to process the claim, and during the routine processes of paying the claim, he/she would see that you are a dependent. They would determine that you are over the limiting age for dependent coverage (usually 18 or 19) and then, would determine whether or not they need to verify you are a full time student.

I am assuming you are over that limiting age, that is very important, otherwise it does not matter if you are enrolled or not.

I can tell you that by taking one quarter off, and if you are over that limiting age, you very likely are no longer qualified as a dependent, because you are not enrolled in college. Period.

If I were you, I'd look closer into this, and how easy it is to get back on the plan, if you take three months off. You could be starting a whole mess of trouble by doing this. You definitely don't want to be scheduling this elbow surgery or the wisdom teeth procedure during this three month span. Trust me on that.

If you have further questions, I'd be happy to help you out.

Demana
12-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Just take enough credits to continue to count as a full time student (look at the fine print of the insurance deal and it will explain the requirement).

You don't need to have 18. At some places, 8 counts as full time.

IndieMatty
12-08-2004, 12:15 AM
College Dropout. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I'm 26, every one of my friends who took time off have yet to return and are pretty much lost now.

Sponger15SB
12-08-2004, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I work in the insurance industry but I deal with death and disability claims, rather than health claims. So... I can give you what I think happens:

I think they may only do random checks when you actually submit claims. If you had no office visits during the last year, they likely didn't do any checking. When you submit an actual claim, that is where the eligibility factors come in. An analyst actually has to process the claim, and during the routine processes of paying the claim, he/she would see that you are a dependent. They would determine that you are over the limiting age for dependent coverage (usually 18 or 19) and then, would determine whether or not they need to verify you are a full time student.

I am assuming you are over that limiting age, that is very important, otherwise it does not matter if you are enrolled or not.

I can tell you that by taking one quarter off, and if you are over that limiting age, you very likely are no longer qualified as a dependent, because you are not enrolled in college. Period.

If I were you, I'd look closer into this, and how easy it is to get back on the plan, if you take three months off. You could be starting a whole mess of trouble by doing this. You definitely don't want to be scheduling this elbow surgery or the wisdom teeth procedure during this three month span. Trust me on that.

If you have further questions, I'd be happy to help you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah [censored] that [censored]. well looks like i'll be in school next quarter!

Sponger15SB
12-08-2004, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just take enough credits to continue to count as a full time student (look at the fine print of the insurance deal and it will explain the requirement).

You don't need to have 18. At some places, 8 counts as full time.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Corey
12-08-2004, 01:28 AM
I had my parents' insurance in college. I finished classes in March and went to the dentist for a routine visit in September on the same insurance and it was paid without a problem.

However, I echo the comments of others and say check with the insurance company. Had I been in a major medical emergency, I assume the insurance company would've done an eligibility check and I would've been screwed.