PDA

View Full Version : Okay, seriously, how do you play TPNK?

SomethingClever
12-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Here's a common situation.

You're in the SB with J4s. 1/2 blind structure. Two limpers, you expect the BB to check, so you complete (standard?).

Flop comes J63 with one of your suit. You lead, one caller, then a player in late position raises.

Do you 3-bet? Fold? Call down? Let's say the turn is another unsuited rag. What then?

This happens to me all the time and seems like I'm taking the wrong line usually.

Here's another... you have A7o in the big blind and 5 people see the flop.

A, blank, blank. Do you lead out, or try a checkraise depending on where the bet comes from? What the hell do you do?

How about A3o?

Help!

James282
12-07-2004, 05:05 PM
I usually check-raise late position bets with tpnk. Depending on the other hands and the texture of the board, sometimes I just check-call. If the board were say, JT3 I would check-raise to drive out tens and things like that and the size of the pot dictates that this play is correct based on the % of times he'll bet a ten or worse(which many people will do when checked to in late position on the flop). If there are absolutely no draws, as in your scenario, chances are you can fold unimproved on the turn given the way you had played the hand thus far.
-James

SomethingClever
12-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Well, I 3-bet and villain called. Then I bet the turn and river and lost to QJo.

I don't know what the hell I was thinking... 3-betting. I tend to not give enough credit when I should, and too much when I shouldn't.

MoreWineII
12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
I don't know if it's right, but I usually bet, call a raise, fold turn unimproved. It's really read-dependent too.

James282
12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it's right, but I usually bet, call a raise, fold turn unimproved. It's really read-dependent too.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just as board dependent as it is read-dependent IMO.
-James

prairieboy
12-07-2004, 05:27 PM
You may want to think about tightening up your blinds play, at least until you have more confidence in your post-flop play.

Folding the blind when you should call costs you very little, but calling when you should fold sets up multiple, expensive mistakes on later streets.

MaxPower
12-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Basically what James282 said. If there has been no pre-flop raise and the pot is 2 or 3 handed I am more likely to bet.

If it is multiway, I would most likely check and fold, call, or raise depending on where the bet comes from, the size of the pot and how many outs I have.

johnnybeef
12-07-2004, 05:34 PM
with aces you should call down as many lo limit players play any ace

MoreWineII
12-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Yep, it's really dependent on a lot of factors. That's my default play though against a solid opponent if I think it's unlikely he's on a draw of some sort.

johnnybeef
12-07-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You may want to think about tightening up your blinds play, at least until you have more confidence in your post-flop play.

Folding the blind when you should call costs you very little, but calling when you should fold sets up multiple, expensive mistakes on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this. i will always fold a j,k, or q in the small blind with a small kicker unless suited (which was what your example was). to analyze your example, i like raising on the flop with top pair/backdoor flush draw as you have a made hand with about 6.5 cards that can improve your hand. there are three reasons why i think this is the best play

1. it could cause anyone who has you outkicked to give up the best hand.

2. it puts $ into the pot for those times that you do draw out and hit your flush.

3. you may have the best hand which you'd want to protect.

As for your play on the turn, i don't have enough information yet so i call and see what happens on the river.

hope this helps,
johnny

SomethingClever
12-07-2004, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My VPIP from the SB at 2/4 is something like 23%. I'm pretty tight.

SomethingClever
12-07-2004, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like raising on the flop with top pair/backdoor flush draw as you have a made hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean checkraising? Because I was in early position. I bet and then 3-bet when it was raised back to me.

MaxPower
12-07-2004, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't tighten-up in the blinds. Playing too tight in the blinds might even be a worse error than playing too loose in the non-blinds.

Just learn how to play these situations. If you tighten up, you'll never learn.

djoyce003
12-07-2004, 06:16 PM
I typically check with top pair no kicker and if the button bets, I raise. I don't want the other people sticking around with overs and my hand *might* be good. I confront the field with two bets. Assuming the button sticks around I might check/fold on the turn unimproved if he's fairly solid. I try not to lose too much from the blind when I don't have much invested. There are just better spots to pick generally.

SomethingClever
12-07-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's another... you have A7o in the big blind and 5 people see the flop.

A, blank, blank. Do you lead out, or try a checkraise depending on where the bet comes from? What the hell do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this example? Every time I'm in this position, I can hear Ed Miller screaming at me, "YOU HAVE TOP PAIR! BET!"

But I usually get tied to a hand where I'm dominated.

Should I not even bother if my kicker is worse than 5?

runa
12-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Situation 2:
This seems like its very dependent on the specific kind of flop, table image, player reads, etc. Gutshot draws change things.

Default: check/call, check/call, check/call
(fold if its 2 when it gets back to me)

Aggro in LP: CR to try for HU, check/call, check/call

Fit or fold weak-passives: bet, bet, check/call