PDA

View Full Version : Did I screw up?

05-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Hello all;

I'd like to solicit your opinions on this, my last hand in the Orleans Stud Hi-lo tournament last night. We were down to two tables, my chip position is the lowest (about $3300) with a $150 ante, $250 bring in, $800-$1600 betting. I'm second after the bring-in and find myself looking at (Ad-Qc)-Ac. I raise to steal the antes to $800. Everyone drops save one fellow showing a 9c (?). He calls. My next card is a Qs. I bet $800 and am called. He catches a 9 on fifth st. and bets. I call all-in and don't improve. Of course, he shows me three 9's. Afterwards, I asked his reasoning - his answer was that he was "running hot" and figured that he "had to call with a pair of nines, since no-one else did". Right.

This cost me a place in the money. Did I err in myjudgement by raising with an ace showing, or did he make a bad call with a good result?

Thanks for your input. Link

05-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Would that I get the chance on short money to play the way you did on third and fourth streets. You had way the best of it when most of the money went in. You have to pay him off when he catches the pair on fifth. Bad luck! Next case.

05-12-2002, 05:38 PM
What can you do ? Even if it was a Super-satellite paying the final table I think you would have to do what you did. Because you are the very lowest stack, everyone else is waiting for you to bust. You're going to have to go for it sooner or later. This is by far the best you will get.

Don't forget also that it is entirely possible for both of you to play the hand correctly - although whether your opponent did I'm not sure, it might depend on his chip position.

Andy.

05-13-2002, 01:45 AM
.....they suck out on you. You got your money in there with the best hand and it didn't work out this trip. Wonder if this guy will be bitching when someone puts it to him the same way (I'll lay odds on that!!). If he's stupid enough to make that first call, he'll bluff off his whole stack next time round. No-one likes to lose to this type, but this is where better players make out. He's dead money.

perfidious