PDA

View Full Version : KQs flops TP, but flop gets capped :/

Alobar
12-07-2004, 04:11 PM
BB in this hand is a little loose, and likes to whine about his beats alot. MP in this hand is loose and is very aggresive at times, altho he seems to have calmed down against me in particular so I think he respects my play

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Turn: (9.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, BB calls.

River: (15.20 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 17.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17.20 BB, between MP and Hero.</font>

The call/cap flop scared me. I figured it was meant at least 2 pair, but was hoping it was a flush draw. Was raising the turn anyway the right play?

note: the converter messed this hand up bigtime, so I straightened it out on my own, if something looks wierd thats why, but I think I got everything

Scotch78
12-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Everything you said about the hand contradicts with the way you actually played it, so I'm baffled.

Scott

Alobar
12-07-2004, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everything you said about the hand contradicts with the way you actually played it, so I'm baffled.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

how so?

bblock99
12-07-2004, 05:22 PM
I think that this is how i might play a flopped set from the BB. I would have slowed down on the turn and called down. I think it was MP that was on the flush draw because he was just doing a lot of calling and no raising. I wouldn't be surprised to see 77 or 88 in this instance. Or did he have two pair. I just don't think you were ahead after he call-capped.

Scotch78
12-07-2004, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MP in this hand is loose and is very aggresive at times, altho he seems to have calmed down against me in particular so I think he respects my play

[/ QUOTE ]

With that read I would give some credit to his flop raise, i.e. it's more likely a MH than a draw. A worse queen is certainly possible, but I don't think second or third pair are as likely given his cold-call. IMO his range of possible hands doesn't dip low enough for you to 3-bet.

[ QUOTE ]
The call/cap flop scared me. I figured it was meant at least 2 pair, but was hoping it was a flush draw. Was raising the turn anyway the right play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising on a hope when your head tells you you're beat is losing poker IMO. Also, whether he has you beat or was on the flush draw, what can you gain by betting the river?

Scott

PS Don't forget that MP was sticking around despite a lot of action, he could've beat you even when the BB is just a nut.

wheelz
12-07-2004, 06:15 PM
After the call/cap on the flop, there's no way I'd raise the turn with one pair.

Alobar
12-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Even tho MP had toned down some against me, it just means he wasn't raising me with A high or bottom pair any more. I figured him for something like A8 or a queen. I was pretty sure I was still ahead tho, which is why I 3 bet.

On the turn, the pot was fairly large and I thought there was enough of a chance that it could be a flush draw, plus the outs I had against 2 pair, plus being able to fold to a 3 bet, plys being able to take the free showdown, that I wanted to raise to force MP to call 2 cold if he was on the flush draw, or make a mistake by calling 2 cold with his 5 or 3 outer (most likely hand).

The river bet I guess was bad. but after MP called 2 cold and BB didn't 3 bet, I just kind of said "[censored] it" and hit the button.