PDA

View Full Version : AK decision

05-12-2002, 01:28 AM
AK comes up quite a bit here. In NL, i almost always raise or fold. So here is this hypothetical (it closes resembles a hand i just play)

Down to 19 from 65 players. Start with 2000 chips. I am at 3800. 8 players at the table (i just got moved to it). I'm 2 from the button.

200-400 blinds, 50 ante.

UTG is at 2750. I've played with him before and know he is good.

He makes it 2000 to go.

As I said before i have AK.

I do figure pocket pair, maybe AQ or AJ.

Looking back I think I should have just called and if not A or K on the flop, fold to any real bet.

Not that it matters. I raised him all-in.

T87 clubs hit.

A

then 9 clubs.

He had the J of clubs..i was done shortly thereafter.

I do want to play not just trying to make the final table, but have a shot at the top 3.

It was also 15 minute time periods..so goes up quick.

Thanks

05-12-2002, 03:35 AM
"I do want to play not just trying to make the final table, but have a shot at the top 3"

i'm not trying to be a smart ass here, as i think this is good advice. you have to make the final table before you can make the top 3.

05-12-2002, 06:42 AM
Well, you were being a smart as tho weren't you?

sd, I can understand how frustrating itis to just make the money, and not be one of the top 3, and I don't think you necessarily made a bad decision but I really don't like moving all in with AK unless the person I am attacking can not hurt my stack substantially and I can hurt his. True, he might just be holding AJ, but why take that chance of losing all your chips. 2000 is a pretty significant raise in front of you to be putting at risk all of your chips, I don't think I'd even flat call here and hope to hit the flop.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. We've played together a number of times (as you know), and I'm sure you'll win one of these days - just keep playing.

hazy

05-12-2002, 08:10 AM
You said you should've just called and then fold when you miss. Definitely not in this spot.

If you just call preflop, there will be close to 5000 in this pot. All he has left to bet is 750, so you simply cannot fold AK for those pot odds, especially when you might still have the best hand.

Reraise all-in or fold were the only good choices preflop. The reason to reraise is to shut out all other players, as you don't want somebody behind you with a small pair to come in and beat you, when the original raiser might have a non-paired hand (and thus worse than yours). If you think it's much more likely than not the raiser has a pair, then muck preflop.

later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

05-12-2002, 11:15 AM
> UTG is at 2750. [...] He makes it 2000 [..] I should have just called and if not A or K on the flop, fold

Fold for T750 more with T5650 in the pot???? You would still break even with a 3-outer here and you might in fact be ahead. Either muck or push in preflop. Since you think he might make this move with AQ or AJ and there is T1000 in antes and blinds, I vote for the latter.

cu

Ignatius

05-12-2002, 12:13 PM
How good can the UTG player be, really, if he chooses to put in T2000, leaving himself only T750? This play makes no sense, because if someone plays with him, he will be moved in, whether he's flat- called pre- flop or not.

In your case, I'd muck the A-K most of the time.

perfidious

05-12-2002, 10:34 PM
Thanks everybody.

Just the type of insightful info i was looking for.

Never really though about folding AK preflop, other than two to raises.

I think from now on i would fold to an early raise, as much more likely it is a pocket pair.

If it had been somebody in late position, then I would push all-in.

Thanks for the explanation that callign and folding makes no sense as the pot odds then mean you have to call...of course I should have realized that myself.

So i played it wrong, but clearly can go either way on pushing all in or not.

As to the smart ass (jk), i meant I want to be in position chip wise to have a much better shot at the top 3 even if that means i have a lesser shot at the top 9.

I wouldn't though go for raises solely for that purpose, but on close decisions would err on the side of gathering more chips. of course that means that i should then push all-in, but close.

Thanks again to all.

See you soon in there hazy

05-13-2002, 01:43 AM
"Well, you were being a smart as tho weren't you?"

no actually i wasn't. i gave the disclaimer because the advice i gave was so obvious.

two of the last three no limit tournies i played in, i arrived at the final table as the shortest stack. one of them i had enough to cove 1 round of blinds. i finished 3rd and 4th respectively.

05-13-2002, 05:38 PM
(was just kidding zzz, no offense intended)