PDA

View Full Version : A warning against tilt

RunDownHouse
12-07-2004, 03:51 PM
I've been in the middle of a huge downswing, big enough that its gotten me worried its not a downswing at all. Its been mayb 400BBs at Party 1/2 over 20k hands or so. I consider myself a decent, thinking player. I know that every poker player does, but honestly, how could you NOT be better than the Party 1/2 game, right?

Today was more horrible beats, a seemingly endless string of unbelieveably bad play that resulted in me losing, not the idiots. I lost the biggest pot I've ever seen at that level on this hand:

Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero raises, Button 3bets, SB caps, BB calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB bets, BB calls, Hero raises, Button 3bets, SB calls, BB calls, Hero raises, all call.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, SB calls, BB calls, Hero 3bets, Button caps, all call.

River: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB bets, BB folds, Hero's blood drains from his face, his skin begins to turn green and expand out of his clothes, and Hero calls, Button raises, SB raises his last $0.50, Hero shakes with uncontrollable rage and calls, Button calls.

SB shows KK for the most horrible river play ever, Button shows T9s and takes it down.

After that, I went on tilt of the worst kind and quickly lost another 75 BBs or so in various ways. I'm completely done, and will cash out whatever is left of my roll. Like I said, you can train a monkey to beat the Party 1/2 6max, so I just can't believe that I'm worse than those players. However, going on tilt like that is definitely not good, and I'm cashing out to make sure I don't get drunk or something and lose the rest.

Writing this has been somewhat cathartic. If anybody cares enough to make this a real thread and not just a bitchfest, post how you deal with tilting and the bad beats that come so often with 6max play.

Scotch78
12-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Sounds like you know what to do, you just didn't do it soon enough. Take a break from playing and read/post a couple extra hours a day.

Scott

kiddo
12-07-2004, 04:33 PM
The only thing that works is setting up a rule. But if u are prepared to blow away 75BB on tilt, not just 1 or 2 hands, but 75BB, well, there aint no rule u are going to follow.

Honestly, losing 400BB at 1/2 is a lot. It can happen but if u often go on tilt I would say u are losing more then u should. ¨

You have to learn to stop play when u go on tilt.

In this hand, he had 8% chance to outdraw you, it can be much worse. And it will happen again and again and again.

Have u read John Feeneys "Inside the Poker Mind"? He has some chapters on tilt.