PDA

View Full Version : Would you fire your multi-million dollar employee?

J.R.
12-07-2004, 03:36 PM
link (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/rockies/article/0,1299,DRMN_19_3380600,00.html)

Colorado Rockies pitcher Denny Neagle got busted for speeding while getting a $40 blow job from her:

http://mas.scripps.com/DRMN/2004/12/07/431417415_d.jpg

last friday night, and the Rockies voided his contract today.

The fact that he hasn't played in over a year due to injuries, was ineffective when healthy and was owed so much cash may be what's really going on (the rockies have tried to dump his salary for a few years now), but a lot of commentators think the rockies are still on the hook for his money. The player's union will argue he still gets his 19 million, based on the precedent of folks like Lamar Hoyt, whose criminal drug problems didn't justify voiding his guaranteed contract.

So did the Rockies make a mistake voiding his contract? Or do morals trump the 19 million, which wouldn't have had to be paid immediately if they didn't void the contract? Is his own stupidity punishment enough? Or maybe the Rockies win on all counts and don't have to pay him? I recall Eugene Robinson played in super bowl XXXIII after getting busted soliciting a hooker the night before, and I'm sure there are other similar situations, so did the Rockies overreact?

stabn
12-07-2004, 03:41 PM
They are going to end up paying him a portion at least half the size of the contract. But, they had to take the chance to eliminate or reduce what they owed him. Slimey move, but overall probably a smart business decision.

J.R.
12-07-2004, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Slimey move, but overall probably a smart business decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only think they will have to pay half? I'm not sure, but didn't lamar hoyt get arrested and convicted of cocaine possession, yet the white sox couldn't void his contract? The player's union is pretty powerful.

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Should they have to pay him? No
Will they have to pay him? Yes

MLBPA is too powerful.

kerssens
12-07-2004, 04:04 PM
She is not attractive

J.R.
12-07-2004, 04:06 PM
I figured people would appreciate the pic /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2004, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She is not attractive

[/ QUOTE ]I'd do her

elwoodblues
12-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Thus, the $40 charge.

beerbandit
12-07-2004, 04:12 PM
id dont think it matters to much when her head is face down in your lap. i highly doubt he was gonna kiss her goodnight.

cheers

Alobar
12-07-2004, 04:16 PM
This has nothing to do at all with morals. Its a business decision (and a good one IMO) under the guise of morals. A pro sports team could care less about a player getting a BJ from a hooker while speading. They will spin the PR whenever it happens to make it look like they give a [censored], for "community" and all the BS they could care less about. But the bottom line is I bet if they found out you liked to juggle dead babies while participating in an all male gangbang and snorting 3 pounds of coke, as long as you produced on the field, and the media never found out, they wouldnt give a damn.

J.R.
12-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Should a cash strapped team (they issued a capital call to general partners last year) incurr a 19 million dollar charge now, as opposed to deferring much over it into the future, or is it worth it to "take a stance" for PR reasons and try to get out of this bad contract?

J.R.
12-07-2004, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its a business decision

[/ QUOTE ]

A PR move becuase of the media, or a chance to try to avoid paying 19 million they very well may end up owing presently, as opposed to having it be deferred into the future? Other folks have done worse I would think.

IndieMatty
12-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Jill Russell looks more like a Jack Russell

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2004, 04:42 PM
good question. I suppose the Colorado front office should have anticipated this was going to happen, thus they probably should have deferred a lot of it to the future. They are really taking a chance here, because its not givin that Neagle will get his money. I am going to have to be a monday morning QB here. Only time will tell which move would have been better. From a strictly PR angle, this looks really good for the Rockies though.

stabn
12-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Nah i said at least. They might be able to get it down to half, or they might end up paying it all. Overall though i think they had to take the CHANCE that they could successfully void it or settle for less.

J.R.
12-07-2004, 04:58 PM
I think I agree with you, he wasn't going to play, they were on the hook for the full deal and the team isn't going anywhere anytime soon so even if it backfires and they owe it all now, its not like they won't able to sign a crucial free agent and acheive some postseason success. And its PRific to take this stance.

cnfuzzd
12-07-2004, 07:20 PM
ever been booked and photo'd? No one looks good in those pictures. That having been said, 40 dollars *is* awfully cheap, she isnt that attractive.

peace

john nickle

stabn
12-07-2004, 07:22 PM
You have very very low standards.

Lazymeatball
12-07-2004, 07:26 PM
She looks like an older Jessica Spanno, of SBTB fame.

kerssens
12-07-2004, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She looks like an older Jessica Spanno, of SBTB fame

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, that's been bugging me all day.

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2004, 07:33 PM
first of all, I wouldn't touch her, and secondly, she really looks like a dude.

AncientPC
12-08-2004, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
first of all, I wouldn't touch her, and secondly, she really looks like a dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah she does, I'm sure the picture's taken at an angle where you can't see his Adam's apple easily.

DontRaisePlz
12-08-2004, 02:05 AM
Neagle's wife.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1997/weekly/970915/images/NEAGLE04.JPG

Edge34
12-08-2004, 02:34 AM
They have a phrase for this in baseball, I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up...

"Slump buster".

Don't ask me how getting blown by an ugly whore in your car during the offseason is going to help him, but hey...baseball's about tradition isn't it? Now we've got steroids and hookers...ladies and gentlemen, Bud Selig needs to step down. Jerry Springer's obviously runnin' the show.