PDA

View Full Version : As if there were any doubt

Gamblor
12-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Developments in Mideast politics since the death of Yasser Arafat:

<ul type="square">
Israel successfully negotiates with Egypt for the release of Azzam Azzam, an Israeli Druze (not Jewish!) incarcerated in Egypt for the last 6 years.
Israeli-Egyptian relations improve despite accidental deaths of Egyptian soldiers.
Hamas openly discussing a hudna (ceasefire), which we all know is the result of Israeli anti-terror activities leaving the organization battered and bloodied and in need of rest.
Not a single major terror attack
Reports Syria willing to enter into peace talks
Tel Aviv stock Exchange soaring.
[/list]

Would any of this have happened if Arafat was still operating out of the Mukata?

MelchyBeau
12-07-2004, 03:22 PM
NOTE: This post is not an arguement I am just asking for clarificaton

If I am not mistaken Azzam Azzam was arrested as an Israeli spy. Did the Israeli Gov't officially state that he was a spy?

Was this part of a prisoner exchange? I thought it was.

What is a Druze?

Melch

chabibi
12-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Druze is a religion, there are several thosand Druze living in israel lebanon and syria. they are in fact arabs but not muslim and they are the only non jews in israel that are conscripted in to the army (behdoins can volunteer but are not conscripted)and the druze comunity takes this as a great honor to serve the only non muslim country in the middle east

Zeno
12-07-2004, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is a Druze?

[/ QUOTE ]

This may help: Druze (http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Society_&amp;_Culture/druze.html)

-Zeno

Gamblor
12-07-2004, 04:50 PM
If I am not mistaken Azzam Azzam was arrested as an Israeli spy. Did the Israeli Gov't officially state that he was a spy?

The Israeli government denied all knowledge of his activities outside of Israel.

Was this part of a prisoner exchange?

Yes, in exchange for 6 Egyptians caught in the country planning to carry out a terrorist attack.

Cyrus
12-07-2004, 05:47 PM
"Developments in Mideast politics since the death of Yasser Arafat: Israel successfully negotiates with Egypt for the release of Azzam Azza."

And this was prevented by Arafat?? I didn't know how much influence Arafat had in Egypt. (Actually, you are the first person to suggest such a thing.)

"Israeli-Egyptian relations improve despite accidental deaths of Egyptian soldiers."

Yep, if Arafat was still alive, he would have put to motion his huge and omnipotent propaganda apparatus and caused a military confrontation between Israel and Egypt! Right...

"Hamas openly discussing a ceasefire."

Another direct result of Arafat's death, presumably. He could not stop them when he was alive, he stopped them when he was dead.

"Not a single major terror attack."

Right, we forgot about Arafat's huge and omnipresent military apparatus, the one that directed (from his Ramallah wreck) a thousand bombing attacks against Israel. (What will happen now to the propaganda and the military hoardings left behind by Arafat? will the blonde widow inherit it all?..) /images/graemlins/cool.gif

"Syria willing to enter into peace talks."

Yes, after Syria tried for years to assassinate Arafat, now that he's dead it will negotiate with Israel -- I guess in honour of the dead man's legacy or something...

"Tel Aviv Stock Exchange soaring."

Ah yes, Arafat was a short seller every day, a real nuisance. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

..The man musta been more than a god; musta been a demi-god.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif