PDA

View Full Version : Stars toughest games online??

Ka Boom
12-07-2004, 03:06 PM
i can't seem to break through theere....

getting killed 4 days straight now no matter what i play.

SnG's...short 10/20..HU, getting slaughtered, outdreawn every which way.

Either its just a bad streak or i am just dominated there, but i can't understand how many underdogs have come through on me. Not once in a while, but with alarming regularity, especially in Allin chases on those SnG's.

last 4 days im losing about 80% of the hands where im about 75%+ favourite heading in.

Not complaining, seen enough to now its all part of game, but how would others here rate stars in terms of how strong the players there are.

From what i've seen over the last year, i'd say its the toughest bar none.

Big Mac
12-07-2004, 03:24 PM
If you have a bunch of chasers sucking out on you when you are a 75% favorite how can you classify that as tough poker players?

Maybe you should just ask for a kleenex.

Ka Boom
12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
because it kept happeneing over and over and over and over ......

Big Mac
12-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't that make them lucky rather than tough?

jess72
12-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Poker Stars is tougher in general. I played 120 hands there today and had A horrible run of cards. Down 70BB while I watched I guy go from 50 bucks to 250 bucks. Just hitting everything. IT GETS OLD AFTER A WHILE. I did see alot of bad play at 2/4 level.

J72

Big Mac
12-07-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker Stars is tougher in general. I played 120 hands there today and had A horrible run of cards. Down 70BB while I watched I guy go from 50 bucks to 250 bucks. Just hitting everything. IT GETS OLD AFTER A WHILE. I did see alot of bad play at 2/4 level.

J72

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I'm alone but my understanding of the definition of tough would be strong poker players. Poker players getting lucky streaks and drawing out doesn't qualify for tough, rather it's weak.

Now either you are getting outplayed or outdrawn. If you are being outplayed then they are comparitively tough players. If you are getting outdrawn by bad beats where you are a 75% favorite then they are not tough.

As far as I can see you can't have it both ways.

Beach-Whale
12-07-2004, 06:16 PM
You are (of course) not alone. I have no clue how these guys are thinking either. Probably just fairly new, confused, and frustrated players.

TobDog
12-07-2004, 07:07 PM
When I first started to play there last year, I noticed the games were like the UB games, pretty tough, but recently with over 10,000 players at any given time, the 2-4 3-6 and even 5-10 full games are not nearly as hard as before.

wonderwes
12-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Long live cheap PL omaha hi games on Stars and Party. Though late at night, it gets down to 1 table.

4thstreetpete
12-07-2004, 10:19 PM
I'm pretty sure that the reason pokerstars seems tougher than the other sites is because I think a lot of the players there use their FPP points to buy the numerous books that pokerstars offer.

More knowledgeable players means tougher site.

kdog
12-07-2004, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I first started to play there last year, I noticed the games were like the UB games, pretty tough, but recently with over 10,000 players at any given time, the 2-4 3-6 and even 5-10 full games are not nearly as hard as before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Tobdog's got it right. It's still tougher than Party, Pacific, Absolute and some of the others but it's definately softer than it used to be. I'd rank UB the toughest right now.

Predator314
12-08-2004, 11:22 AM
I suggest sticking with the short handed tables. They seem to be the softest games on Stars.

westmt01
12-08-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I'm alone but my understanding of the definition of tough would be strong poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not alone - you're completely right.

[ QUOTE ]
Poker players getting lucky streaks and drawing out doesn't qualify for tough, rather it's weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I think this is what a lot of people lose sight of. Making the right plays qualifies one as a good player, not playing something like 83o and sucking a straight out of the river. In the long-run these players will lose, and smart, tight-aggressive play will win. Time has a way of seperating the "tough" players from the lucky ones.

But it is difficult, when evaluating a poker site, to only look at the quality of play rather than one's own win/loss rate. I've never played at Stars because I've always heard that it was the toughest (though that seems to be changing), but the toughest place I've ever played is UB. I've heard Paradise can be tough at higher limits, but the low limits are pretty juicy. Overall I've seen less players in the last 3-4 months that are just throwing their money away (such as people who play EVERY hand regardless of what they have), but I think it will be years if ever before online poker ceases to be profitable for the "tough" player.