PDA

View Full Version : QQ - Need help with convoluted thinking.

mike_wzrd
12-07-2004, 02:47 PM
MP3 has played relatively solid so far and not that tricky, but he is aggressive. Stats after 1 session: Saw flop all 33%. Raised preflop 18%. Aggression Factor 1.35.

UTG+1 is very, very loose and aggressive, but not a total LAG. He'll bet if he hits any part of the flop or has a draw. Stats after 1 session: Saw flop all 72%. Raised PF 30%.

MP1 also very, very loose, but more passive. Can be tricky. Stats after 1 session: Saw flop all 85%. Raised PR 7.4%. Agression Factor 0.43.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (20.40 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

So now my main concern is whether anyone has AA, KK or hit a set. I have 2 questions here.

1. Is going for a check raise better than betting out? Why? What if it's 2 bets back to me after I check?
2. Given the line that I took, should I have reraised?

The reason I bet out was to gain information. The loose guys had nothing or they would have bet out.
After the flop bet and raise, I had MP3 on either AA, KK, AK, JJ, or 1010. The loose guys were going to call no matter what, so there's no way MP3's raise is meant to knock them out, and he still has the BB behind him. He either has a big hand or is looking to fold BB &amp; buy a free card on the turn with AK. I thought about reraising, but he was aggressive and I thought he would cap if he had any of those hands. I decided to take another card and then decide. My feeling after the hand was that I should have reraised the flop, but I don't think it would have given me any more information, wouldn't have folded anyone, and I'm not sure it's a value bet with the hands I have him on even with the loose guys in.

Turn: (14.20 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

When I didn't see an A or K on the turn I bet figuring MP3 would just call with AK. I'm not going to go for a check raise, because I don't want MP3 to check and then I loose bets from the loose guys. When MP3 raises, I decided to go into call down mode. Loose guys couldn't have had anything or they would have raised.

River: (22.20 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 22.20 BB

Thoughts on play and thinking on all streets. What do you have MP3 on?

MoreWineII
12-07-2004, 02:53 PM
1. Is going for a check raise better than betting out? Why? What if it's 2 bets back to me after I check?

-- Given that there's a good chance that MP3 will raise and that you can confront the field with two bets, I think a lead is sexy here.

2. Given the line that I took, should I have reraised?

-- Hrm, I think I'd just call and check-raise a non A or K turn card. Your opponent(s) are loose and like to bet, I'm not ready to concede AA, KK, or TT yet.

djoyce003
12-07-2004, 03:48 PM
preflop - exactly how i'd have done it.

Flop - I think betting out was right in the hopes that he'd raise. I want those stragglers off the hand as the pot is big enough already and i don't want suckouts. When they call 2 bets cold, I'd go ahead and 3bet the flop because I want money in the pot now.

Turn - I think i'd 3 bet the turn and see if he caps.

River - if he doesn't cap my turn bet, I lead the river if an ace or king don't fall, otherwise I check like you did.

I'm confused by his check on the end, but he clearly thinks you have a good hand. I think he has AK of spades, unimproved and raised hoping to hit a river spade, ace or king. I think his post flop raise of your bet was to shake off the stragglers and get a free card. I think he bet raised the turn on a draw.

Overall well played, I think you missed a river value bet here.