PDA

View Full Version : A legal question

LALDAAS
12-07-2004, 01:14 PM
This weekend I was invited to a poker turney through a friend of a friend at the local Elks club. The turney composed of 36 people. The buy in was $40. $30 went to the pot and $10 went to food a beer. They purchased a keg of beer and several 6 ft subs. There were 5 tables and every one started with 1500 in chips. The final table consist of the remaining 2 to from each table, Who all break even. With 1st 2nd and 3rd winning there respectable portions.

I finshed 6th not to shabby.

All in All I had a blast and fun had by all.It was a nice way to spend a saturday after noon and I meet alot of new people.

My question is was this legal or was this the Elks club and the law just looks the other way.

I had such a good time I thought to my self why dont I organize an event.I could rent a hall at the local Rotary Club or First Aid squad which we do for family events.I live in apartment so my home games are held to 10 max.

Have the buy in be 30 beans 10 for food and beer and split the cost of the hall between the players.

Would this be legal?

I live in New Jersey. How can I go about looking in to law.

I personally think it would be a blast and would be very easy to round up 36 peeps.

smoore
12-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Contact the gaming commision in NJ. Failing that, ask a local lawyer.

grandgnu
12-07-2004, 01:56 PM
I live in Massachusetts. My understanding is that all the local clubs (Elks, American Legion, etc) can hold Texas Hold Em tournaments because it's run as a "charity" event and they have a license to run charity events, serve food and beverages, etc.

It does not sound like what you experienced was indeed legal, nor would running your own event like that be legal to my understanding. I am not a lawyer though, so seeking professional advice is always recommended.

ericslagle
12-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Here's some info about gaming in NJ.
http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/New-Jersey/
Contact The Man directly:
http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ge/contactus.htm
That's what I did - I just called my local gambling department and asked about poker nights for here in Washington.

warewulf
12-07-2004, 02:30 PM
I think most places it's leagal to have a game as long as there's no rake. Obviously check before throwing a huge organized event though.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-07-2004, 02:41 PM
I don't think this is legal. I believe in most states, the $10 immediately makes it illegal. That the $10 goes in part to buy alcohol, I'd imagine you'd also be breaking the letter of the law if you don't have a liquor license. I don't remember this being a problem at college keg parties, though. Although maybe that's because silly things like underage drinking swamped out any thoughts of a liquor license.

rdu $teve
12-07-2004, 03:52 PM
College keg parties are illegal too. If busted, they are charged with the sale of alcohol without a license.

young nut
12-07-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think providing alcohol at an event or party is not illegal. It is only illegal to sell or distribute alcohol for profit without a liquor licence. Alcohol at a party subjects you to host liquor liability, but I don't think it is illegal. The only time I think it becomes illegal is if you sell the alcohol for profit or you serve to underage drinkers.

Lottery Larry
12-08-2004, 10:30 AM
If you're not a charity, or a "charitable organization" like the Elks and other lodges, I wouldn't bet on it.

rdu $teve
12-08-2004, 11:37 AM
How many keg parties have you been to where they gave you a free cup and asked you for an ID?

caveat: frats give freebies, but they definately dont check IDs

Lottery Larry
12-08-2004, 12:34 PM
I think the cover charge at the door is considered "for profit"

Much less the serving underage people alcohol