PDA

View Full Version : A common situation...

DMBFan23
12-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Just wanted to see how most people handle this one. you've been at the table for a couple orbits, but not long enough to see how BB plays his blinds. reasonable player, 24/6 over about 90 hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'Em (10 handed)

Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif
3 folds, MP1 limps, 1 fold, Hero Raises, 3 folds, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop (6 SB): Q /images/graemlins/club.gif, T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
BB Bets, MP1 folds, Hero...?

call or raise?

how does it change if the Q/images/graemlins/club.gif is instead the A/images/graemlins/club.gif?

beginner
12-07-2004, 01:18 PM
I raise in both cases.

djoyce003
12-07-2004, 01:31 PM
I raise everytime. He might bet a 10 here, which you are ahead of. You've also got a backdoor no-gap straight draw plus your draw to your jacks. If he re-raises, then you have to re-assess but against a pre-flop raiser him reraising is not as likely. It would probably work as a free card play, or you could bet the turn if he checks to you and show down for free.

lu_hawk
12-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Well with a raise the flop, bet the turn, check behind on the river line you will need to win 40% of the time to breakeven. But this is a board that probably hit a PFR and a reasonable player is betting into you on a 3-way flop and you don't even have top pair.

sfer
12-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Call/call/call.

DMBFan23
12-07-2004, 02:24 PM
hey sfer,

this is the HU way ahead/way behind line, but with position, no?

do you call even if the turn or river brings a king or an ace? to fold automatically seems weak, but hmm...

DMBFan23
12-07-2004, 03:36 PM
anyone else just call it down?

Rah
12-07-2004, 04:30 PM
If he's intending to call down anyhow, why not raise the flop, bet the turn and check behind on the river? It would cheaper and the other player might fold to a turn bet.

DMBFan23
12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
assuming that we are in a way ahead/behind situation doesn't this line make us less when AT stops betting?

sfer
12-07-2004, 05:26 PM
It's not exactly way ahead/way behind. It's possibly ahead/way behind. The pot isn't so big I want to win right now, but not so small I want to give up. So I'd prefer calling unless the board goes crappy.

EDIT: But one thing is certainly true: if he's folding to a flop raise you didn't want him to fold.

mike_wzrd
12-07-2004, 06:27 PM
I'm either going to fold or raise depending on my read over the first couple of orbits at the table. If I raise, then I'll bet the turn and check the river unimproved. I don't mind taking this pot down based on the turn raise. I don't understand the logic behind call, call, call in this situation.