PDA

View Full Version : early QQ all in - stupid?

slickterp
12-07-2004, 10:43 AM
got HU PF w/ a 120 raise (blinds 10/20, about 5th-6th hand). flop is 3 rags, no coordination. i push (~900, pot now about 12-1300). he calls w/ AK off and hits K on turn, i lose. stupid on my part? i have played many SnG's vs. this guy and had a good feeling he was playing some high ace, b/c he would've pushed me w/ AA, KK PF.

slickterp
12-07-2004, 11:02 AM
13 views and no replies..... i think i know my answer.

Unarmed
12-07-2004, 11:07 AM
If you don't use the converter you're not going to get many replies...
Did you or he raise PF?
Why push the flop?
If its rags he can't even put you on a draw.
I think you let AK get away 4/5 times here where they would have incorrectly called a 2/3 pot bet chasing their O/C.

jcm4ccc
12-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Good play. Bad outcome.

stanky
12-07-2004, 11:13 AM
You made a read and got your money all in as a 3-1 favorite so I can't really call that stupid. But I never push preflop early in a SNG unless I have AA, and I wouldn't push with QQ and in this instance I would just bet the pot.

My strategy when the blinds are this small is to:

1. not go broke
2. get reads on players so I can make optimal bets when the blinds are higher
3. build my stake

IN THAT ORDER

-Pete

slickterp
12-07-2004, 11:19 AM
i know he made a bad call, but also, this does not change the fact that i lost. stanky, i like your post. reminds me that one does not get into tussles like this early, although i did have a read on this guy and felt good about it. just infuriated me b/c when he won he said "what, you don't like chips?" if i was b+m i think i might have actually punched him. although, i did calm myself down knowing that i have beat him before and will beat him again.

betgo
12-07-2004, 12:45 PM
You played the hand fine. There is a lot of luck involved in poker.

zephyr
12-07-2004, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. not go broke
3. build my stake

IN THAT ORDER

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see how 2 could possibly be more important than 3.

[ QUOTE ]
I never push preflop early in a SNG unless I have AA

[/ QUOTE ]

In a lot of ways QQ is a better hand to be all-in preflop. Reasons:

1) you get called by hands like AQ, AJ, Axs even, JJ, TT, 99, which often won't call on the flop if they miss.

2) if an overcard hits the hand becomes quite difficult to play for you, and often quite easy to play for your opponent.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr

stanky
12-08-2004, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. not go broke
3. build my stake

IN THAT ORDER

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see how 2 could possibly be more important than 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

play during the first two levels of a Party SNG is pretty straight forward for me because I rarely enter the pot with anything less then pairs and AK, so I'm not to concerned with builded my stack because it will only happen if I have a big hand. I'm more concerned with watching how the other players play so that when the blinds are larger and the pots bigger and I'm playing looser I can make the right play. Level three is when "building my stack" jumps to the top of the list.
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I never push preflop early in a SNG unless I have AA

[/ QUOTE ]

In a lot of ways QQ is a better hand to be all-in preflop. Reasons:

1) you get called by hands like AQ, AJ, Axs even, JJ, TT, 99, which often won't call on the flop if they miss.

2) if an overcard hits the hand becomes quite difficult to play for you, and often quite easy to play for your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way you are going to convince me that in some way it is better to push preflop with QQ than AA in a SNG, so lets end this here.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Pete