PDA

View Full Version : AK river catch - gets berated by Table Coach

Rocco
12-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Table Coach is usually over-aggressive preflop and has a VP$IP around 30. Seems quite aggressive in the early streets but turns passive when it comes to showdown. A sign of a player who takes his hands to far? Anyway, since he shows no aggression, I just keep on betting. How was my play? I know I probably should've 3-bet preflop, right? Table Coach flamed me for the next 5 minutes...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 <font color="purple">(Table Coach)</font> calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Table Coach calls, CO folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Table Coach calls.

River: (7.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Table Coach calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.75 BB, between Table Coach and Hero.</font>

prayformojo
12-07-2004, 09:57 AM
I play this the same way. In fact, I'm sure I've played this exact hand against different table coaches on at least nine non-consecutive occasions.

My favourite reaction isn't the angry coach, but the patient Lee Jones reader who painstakingly tries to convince me that when AK doesn't hit the flop, I just have to let it go.

Edit: What was your plan on the river if no A or K fell?

Rocco
12-07-2004, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Edit: What was your plan on the river if no A or K fell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against this kind of player I probably just check and fold to a bet, cause I was quite positive he had something (though, he might have been on a draw). Most of the time, I bet the river as well against one caller if no aggression is shown.

gamblore99
12-07-2004, 10:39 AM
i always 3bet preflop.

On the flop with 4 players, I think its a check/fold situation, if you bet preflop then you could check call or bet and take it from there. But 2-4 players like to go to far with there hand and with 3 of them, I think its gonna be hard to fold the field, so your gonna have to catch an AK or that they don't have a made hand and are on a draw. Seeing as the board is just about drawless, and the preflop cold calls, it looks like your up against a pocket pair, or 2 overcards weaker than yours.

Basically from the flop on, your on a draw. With 3 other players and a weak draw, I would try to see the turn and river as cheaply as possible.

Lost Wages
12-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Mandatory reraise preflop, calling is very weak. What is your plan if UTG bets this flop?

Table Coach flamed me for the next 5 minutes...

Tell him that you're psychic.

Lost Wages

Lost Wages
12-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Most of the time, I bet the river as well against one caller if no aggression is shown.

Betting an unimproved AK on the river is usually a mistake. Worse hand will rarely call and better hands will rarely fold for one more bet headsup. If you are last to act you should usually check it through and hope you're good. If you are first to act you should usually check and call (induce a bluff) or check and fold depending on your read of the opponent and the situation.

Think about it. Your hand will be good much more often when you check and call than when you bet and are called.

Lost Wages

Rocco
12-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Well... That's what I'm thinking of right now. I realized as soon as I hit the Call-button, I should've re-raised and that's what I usually do. Don't know why I cold-called... And you're right about not betting out an unimproved river, hardly no-one calls with just overcards. Inducing a bluff is better...

Fat Nicky
12-07-2004, 11:09 AM
3-bet pre-flop.

prayformojo
12-07-2004, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't pay enough attention to the pre-flop action. I agree with the 3-bet, of course.

shabamgoddam
12-07-2004, 01:13 PM
I would have played this the same way post flop, AK is worth a 3 bet pre flop. With AK against such a low board and a seemingly passive post flop player I would lead the betting until I got re-raised. If the river was a blank I would def. have check/folded if he bet.There's no way AK high is good at this point. AK is a great hand pre-flop but sometimes can cost you big $$ after. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif