PDA

View Full Version : PlayerView/GameTime+ and Single Table Tournaments

player1
12-07-2004, 07:52 AM
hello,

at least for now, it appears PV and GT+ only supports cash games. once they support Single Table Tournaments (STTs):

1) which PT statistics should i concentrate on and display on screen?

2) how much weight should i give on each player's total statistic vs. the current session's (tournament) statistics?

thanks for any help,
jc

amirpc
12-07-2004, 07:55 AM
PlayerView has preliminary tournament support already in place in the latest version. It will be complete soonish, probably after mine & CT's finals week.

player1
12-07-2004, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PlayerView has preliminary tournament support already in place in the latest version. It will be complete soonish, probably after mine & CT's finals week.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just noticed that right after i posted.

i would like hear your opinion on the difference between the two.

could you please add a "recommended" layout as the default for tourneys? also, do you have a recommended way of interpreting this data as it pertains to STTs?

i currently play 4 STTs at a time, and i'd really like to set up one of these add ons properly.

btw, count me in as one of your many future customers! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanks,
jc

amirpc
12-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Also I would like to point out that me and kross have taken two different approaches to the same problem.

He has created a transparent overlay form, which causes things to look "prettier" and is much easier to code. Also he has used the database to get information on who is in each seat, and it is refreshed as the database is refreshed.

The pros of his approach are:
1 - It is less bug prone, generally easier to deal with as well in the code base I'm sure.
2 - It tends to go over better with those who aren't technically inclined, as PV has some issues on older systems since it was written on top of the .NET framework.

The cons are:
1 - The information as to who is at the table can only be updated as fast as the PT database is updated.
2 - It is not automated much at all.

Me and CT however approached the problem differently. Our statistics are sort of drawn on the same "canvas" that pp is, however does not interfere with pp operation. All of our seat information comes from the hhf files which are updated real time.

Pros:
1 - Automation, this is key. Everything is pretty fully automated I have to say. This is especially important if you play 4+ tables.
2 - Very customizable, with a ton of room for more changes as well. If I really wanted to get in trouble, we could go as far as to change the way things are displayed in PP (we won't, of course thats over the line).
3 - Its written by me and CT and we rock.

Cons:
1 - Harder to deal with the code as it is technically more complex. It is prone to issues on systems with wierd combinations of programs running, and also can be a pain to get running on outdated operating systems.

From what I've seen of kross's work, I have a lot of respect for him as a developer. I think GT+ will definately go places and I welcome the competition.

With that said, I obviously think PV is better. I'm obviously biased. I will however tell you guys that both me and CT are very commited to this project and both spend every free moment we have working on it. We started this program because of you guys and are still working on it because of you guys. We're thrilled to see people using it.

PS - kross if I have misstated or made bad assumptions in this post, I appologize. They were just educated guesses for the most part.

player1
12-07-2004, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Our statistics are sort of drawn on the same "canvas" that pp is, however does not interfere with pp operation.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds really cool!

in my past life, i used to write crappy video games for a living. kinda gets me thinking about it again...

krishanleong
12-07-2004, 12:10 PM
More pros of PlayerView. A huge one is gameselection. If you want to view a game you aren't sitting at in GameTime, it's a complete pain in ass involving changing you name to the name of a player at the table. Playerview automates this. With the new player stats, I can open 12 tables, walk away, and in 15 minutes sit at the loosest 4 tables of the 12. GameTime cannot do this.

Krishan

AncientPC
12-07-2004, 02:02 PM
At the moment PlayerView only supports Party skins (AFAIK). I still use GameTime Plus when playing on Paradise, Prima, etc.