PDA

View Full Version : QTs - Two Pair - Check/Raise backfires

Ajax410
12-07-2004, 06:44 AM
Button is a sLA-A
MP3 is LA-P

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Dunno how +EV the call UTG with QTs is, but I like to play the hand, and none of the 8 tables I was playing at were too aggressive pre-flop tonight, so I got into the habit of limping with QTs in EP - bad move?

Flop: (6 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

I bet out since I don't want to give anyone a free card - I have the intention of playing this hand straightfowardly, but the flop raise makes me want to check/raise the turn - so I just call.

Turn: (6 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn puts a card I didn't really love to see on the board - I don't really fear the straight...until I get 3-bet. Then it's capped, and I am forced to call with my 13 outs to fill up or hit the flush. Did I play this street okay? I don't think I had a choice but to call - but when the passive player bet the turn, should I have adjusted my plan?

Nick C
12-07-2004, 06:55 PM
On the turn, I'm thinking that if you're behind but your 13 outs are all good, then you're not losing that much with each bet that goes in against two opponents.

Still, when the passive player comes to life on the turn after two other players showed aggression on the flop, I do think that's a bad sign. Perhaps MP3 has JT or something else you're still ahead of, but I would probably just call. (But that's easy for me to say, since I know you got 3-bet.)

I think one thing to consider is just leading the turn when the J /images/graemlins/heart.gif falls. I think sometimes it's good to abandon a checkraise plan when the turn card is one you're not sure you wanted to see.

Rubeskies
12-07-2004, 09:20 PM
I really think you have to 3-bet the flop.

There are a lot of cards that can come on the turn that can kill your equity. Plus, button could be raising a flush draw and you do not want to give him a free card on the turn.

At party 2/4, calling in EP with QTs is fine.