PDA

View Full Version : "IF" bets

08-27-2001, 07:47 PM
One of my books recently started to offer the "IF" bet. How is this different from a parlay? If I was to pick 3 teams to win would the "IF" bet or a parlay be better? Is there any special time when the "IF" would have positive EV over similar multi/parlay type bets?

08-27-2001, 09:01 PM
What you do is bet $110 on the Raiders then if it wins you bet $110 on the Packers, etc. Notice you don't parlay the whole amount so you will win less money, but in this case if the Packer bet loses then your next result is a loss of juice for $10.

08-27-2001, 09:34 PM
Is there any time you would consider making the "IF" bet, and why?

08-28-2001, 03:09 AM
Nope

Its generally a tool used by people on short bankrolls to try to take a shot at building it up with a hot day. Only reason why I would ever do it is if I happen to get just about every play I wanted to make coming with the best number at one particular book. That almost never happens. Further I am almost exclusively an overnight bettor so I don't get that opportunity. Generally the biggest mistake you can make is playing on a short bankroll so if you are doing it for that reason then you are basically admitting you have little chance to win. If a game is a bet, bet it. The IF bet is a sign of desperation, someone that gives the house action by putting in more bets than he might ordinarily do if he had a bankroll.