PDA

View Full Version : coming over the top with AK ($10+1)

TheDrone
12-07-2004, 04:10 AM
I can think of many scenarios where it's profitable to push AK preflop, but what about this scenario?

Blinds 15/30 -- no reads yet
UTG+1(850) raises to 121
UTG+2(448) goes all in
folded to Hero(755) on button with AKs
SB (721)
BB (966)

I was ready to push against the first raise, but with the short stack allin I am much more hesitant to make the move. Sure it's great if I have both dominated, but I think it's much less likely here against a raise and a reraise allin. Folding seemed weak and calling 60% of my stack with the blinds and the first raiser left to act seemed worse. So I pushed.

Your thoughts?

spentrent
12-07-2004, 06:37 AM
I think that imagining your hand to have "both dominated" is somewhat unhealthy. With two villains, you've got twice as many ways to lose with what is still just a drawing hand.

With two villains it's most likely worse than a coin-flip for you.

Spladle Master
12-07-2004, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you've got twice as many ways to lose with what is still just a drawing hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

*screams*

Mammux
12-07-2004, 08:42 AM
I know calling is generally frowned upon, but in this situation I might. It all depends on my impression of the other players. I would not mind seeing the flop with 1 or 2 callers that might believe their AJ or AQ good if an A hits.

-Magnus

rjb03
12-07-2004, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know calling is generally frowned upon, but in this situation I might. It all depends on my impression of the other players. I would not mind seeing the flop with 1 or 2 callers that might believe their AJ or AQ good if an A hits.

-Magnus

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is still frowned upon.