PDA

View Full Version : Beginner question

05-05-2002, 10:54 AM
Pot limit tourney. I am down to 1000 chips, blinds are 200/400. I am UTG and find JJ. I go all in. Folded round to the big blind who is also fairly short stacked (I think he has about two or three thousand sorry can't remember exactly) he calls for 600 more with Q2os.

I am pretty new to pot limit and tourneys. Is this a standard play on his part?

PS - Unfortunately a full house (7's full of kings) came on the board and the pot was split, I went out next hand.

05-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Very standard, at least in my book.

For a call of 600, he can win 1600, or close to 3:1. The only way he is that big of a dog is if you have a pair, and the pair you had only made him about a 3:1 dog. If you had QQ or higher, then it's a bad call on his part. Of course, whenever you have AK or any other unpaired hand, his call has lots of positive expectation. And, you might have a hand he's beating (like JT).

In his shoes, I call your bet without even looking at my cards. If the situation is reversed, you should do the same. Once your pot odds drop down close to 2:1 or less, then you can throw away some hands. Or, if it's a super-satellite, there are situations where you should fold even getting much better than 3:1.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

05-05-2002, 01:20 PM
Basically yes. He assumes that you would correctly raise here 50% of the time and has no reason to give you credit for a real hand. He gets 8:3 on his call, so even if he expects to be a 1:2 dog, his call is still profitable. Only if it's very likely that other small stacks would drop out in the next round and allowing him to step up in the payscale, it would be correct to fold here.

cu

Ignatius

05-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Thankyou very much. I know he is a good player and as a learner myself I figured he had good reason to do what he did.

Out of interest would the situation be very different for him if I had a larger stack?

05-05-2002, 06:28 PM
> Out of interest would the situation be very different for him if I had a larger stack?

Yes - since he had more than T2000 left, he certainly would have mucked in that case: 1st, he knew that there's virtually no chance that he would have the better hand and 2nd, the blinds are now a much smaller part of the money at stake, so he's getting worse odds to play.

cu

Ignatius