PDA

View Full Version : Zeno's Theory of Poker

Zeno
12-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Zeno’s Theory of Poker:

The only people (or institutions) that make money at poker are those that make a living off of poker players that believe they can make a living off of playing poker. The rest is superfluous.

Another way of stating the above is by the following:

Poker is a continual self-perpetuating hoax, and most that engage in it never realize it.

This is a working theory, which means, in the parlance of science, that it is in a state of flux. What is also paramount to any working theory is what it does not say, by either deliberate exclusion or implicitly.

The above Theory is a copyright production of Zeno World Domination Enterprises Inc. - The first and last in Nuclear Arsenals and other useful toys. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.

-Zeno: Zen Pokermaster and part-time insurance salesman and TV repairman.

bconway6
12-07-2004, 04:15 AM
HUH? Way too many verbal loops for me to comprehend at 2:15 in the morning.

Cerril
12-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Heh heh. Poker, the ultimate pyramid scheme. Everyone is someone else's fish.

A_C_Slater
12-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Yeah. And what's great is everyone thinks they're at the top of the pyramid. But I'm the only one who really is at the top. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

A_C_Slater
12-07-2004, 06:12 AM
I was standing in line at Best Buy today when I noticed a "Texas Hold em starter's kit." It was a giant tin box that had 200 chips and a Texas hold em video game that can be played with up to six people on the T.V. This was located in the impulse buying section near the cashier where they usually keep batteries and candy.

The fish are spawning rapidly.

JoshuaD
12-07-2004, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heh heh. Poker, the ultimate pyramid scheme. Everyone is someone else's fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trick is simply avoiding playing against the better players. I was successful at poker from the very getgo by always playing against weaker players.

TonyBlair
12-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Sounds like Zeno's just awoken from his post-crack-haze.
The clever part is putting what you have to say in a format that can be understood.
From what I could work out I think it's BS anyway.

This isn't a personal attack. It's an attack on mind-altering and dangerous substances.

CCass
12-07-2004, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-Zeno: Zen Pokermaster and part-time insurance salesman and TV repairman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were a paid misanthrope?

Zeno
12-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Misanthrope, YES! Paid, NO!

I may tweek my theory to meet some criticisms tossed at it but that will be for another day. The path, for the moment, is foggy but I expect a clearing soon.

Rake is King.

-Zeno

Zeno
12-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Some mind-altering substances may enhance vision and thought and become scared objects of worship and devotion - Peyote being an excellent example.

Do not be so quick to discount BS. It's what drives most of the world.

Le Misanthrope

JinX11
12-07-2004, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a continual self-perpetuating hoax, and most that engage in it never realize it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, pass that bud, dude! I wanna hit.

AncientPC
12-08-2004, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was standing in line at Best Buy today when I noticed a "Texas Hold em starter's kit." It was a giant tin box that had 200 chips and a Texas hold em video game that can be played with up to six people on the T.V. This was located in the impulse buying section near the cashier where they usually keep batteries and candy.

The fish are spawning rapidly.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do 6 people play poker on one TV? Aren't you going to see the other's hole cards?

A_C_Slater
12-08-2004, 04:27 AM
I believe that each person has their own personal game boy like hand held and the T.V. image merely keeps track of the pot size and hand reading details.

AncientPC
12-08-2004, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that each person has their own personal game boy like hand held and the T.V. image merely keeps track of the pot size and hand reading details.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I like poker, what's wrong with a $3 deck of cards?

Steve Bricker
12-08-2004, 11:43 AM
[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your sentiment, but my goodness, who in their right mind would pay three bucks for a stinking deck of playing cards? You're getting ripped off, my friend. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

AngryCola
12-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Huh?

It's 3 bucks for a deck of Bees at every store I go to.

I got a good price on my plastic KEM cards ($15 for 2 decks), and they are well worth the money.

FrankLu99
12-10-2004, 01:00 AM
apply this theory to women, substitute "money" with "happiness" and you have a winner

JAJ

Joe Tall
12-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Running bad, eh?

Peace,
Joe Tall

tek
12-12-2004, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Zeno’s Theory of Poker: The only people (or institutions) that make money at poker are those that make a living off of poker players that believe they can make a living off of playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe his rambling has a point. Think about "No money down real estate" infomercials. An infinitesimal number of suckers who buy those books and dvd's make anything. (I do know of an example of one success story in that area. My girlfriends high school neighbor parlayed cheap real estate into owning the Minneapolis Athletic Club and the Grand Rios Hotel.)

Remember 1-900 numbers? Who made the most money off that scam--the guys selling the phone numbers and turn-key package. The schmucks that bought into that still had to face the same pitfalls of any other business, including oou-advertising the 10,000 other 1-900 schmucks...

Therefore I believe Zeno is saying that the people making monye on the poker boom are ex-leather coat salesmen, book authors, poker rooms, Travel Channel, ESPN, etc.

But he says "Poker is a continual self-perpetuating hoax, and most that engage in it never realize it."

So in addition, anyone who is better than most will make money. And the supposed purpose of this forum is to help each other not be in the self-perpetuating hoax category.

rusellmj
12-12-2004, 01:59 AM
Perhaps it could be said, to paraphrase an old basketball coach, "poker is like church, many attend, but few understand".
Eh?
Russ

AncientPC
12-15-2004, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your sentiment, but my goodness, who in their right mind would pay three bucks for a stinking deck of playing cards? You're getting ripped off, my friend. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I threw that out there because that's the going rate for a deck inside any local store.