PDA

View Full Version : What is your dream job?

jasonHoldEm
12-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Current job: Poker

Dream Job: Techno Artist - The problem with this is that I have no sense of rhythm, but I think it would be a really fun job.

Slightly more realistic dream job: Flash MX Developer - This is probably what I'm going to begin pursuing next year as I'm getting bored with poker. I'd like to pursue something that combines art, music, and computing so flash seems like a good area to focus my efforts (I have a BS in computing already, although have never worked with flash in the past).

J

elwoodblues
12-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Federal Judge. That would rock. Chances of it happening are about 0%

chabibi
12-07-2004, 12:32 AM
man whore

benfranklin
12-07-2004, 12:39 AM
"Dream Job" /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not logical. Does not compute.

nothumb
12-07-2004, 12:51 AM
1. Bass player for some insanely famous, hot pop singer. Easier than being a serious musician and you get access to all sorts of primo tail, drugs, etc.

2. Gonzo journalist or novelist. I don't have the discipline or patience to do it, unfortunately.

3. Free safety, New England Patriots. I love to take running shots at people, and, again, fabulous wealth.

NT

Non_Comformist
12-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Current Job: Poker

Dream Job: Doing nothing instead of next to nothing.

Chances of it happening: 100%

Rob Blackburn
12-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Big Game Fishing Pro

theBruiser500
12-07-2004, 01:34 AM
President.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Sandwich artist.

LondonBroil
12-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Astronaut. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sponger15SB
12-07-2004, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
President.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would HATE to have that job.

jesusarenque
12-07-2004, 02:46 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
President.

[/ QUOTE ]

President of what?

AncientPC
12-07-2004, 02:50 AM
Some gig from the Travel channel where all I do is stay in expensive hotels and eat different types of food.

gonores
12-07-2004, 02:51 AM
I first saw this thread at 11 replies. When I saw it, I set the over/under for number of "Playboy Photographer" responses at 3. I am sorely disappointed.

theBruiser500
12-07-2004, 02:52 AM
president of the united states

Redmen62
12-07-2004, 03:03 AM
NFL Team owner. I'd settle for GM though.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-07-2004, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I first saw this thread at 11 replies. When I saw it, I set the over/under for number of "Playboy Photographer" responses at 3. I am sorely disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with you on this one. Very disappointed.

deacsoft
12-07-2004, 03:17 AM
I'm living it.

youtalkfunny
12-07-2004, 05:24 AM
I actually got to do my dream job for seven years: I booked sports in Las Vegas.

How much did I love that job? I'd routinely get to work 2 hours early, and sometimes leave two hours late, for no pay. There was just nowhere else I'd rather be, and nothing else I'd rather do.

They used to PAY ME to watch ESPN CNNSI all day, while surfing the internet, and talking about sports, and quantifying everything in gambling terms. They used to pay me MONEY to this! I know it's a cliche, but I would've done it for free.

And then, after seven years, I got sick of it, and moved on to something else.

I'm no longer looking for a dream job. I'm now quite certain that no job exists that I won't get sick of if I stick with it long enough.

Popinjay
12-07-2004, 05:34 AM
Gigolo for super models/celebrities.

Cerril
12-07-2004, 06:25 AM
I found the guy with my dream job recently. He gets paid a better than average salary for writing the lore for an online fantasy RPG.

Dream: Writer or college instructor/prof - if I ever get the drive I might manage those.

Unrealistic Dream: Independently wealthy. Some people can't live without a job. I don't have expensive diversions and don't need any artificial justification for existence. I do, however, need a paycheck.

nicky g
12-07-2004, 06:59 AM
Pet cat.

The Dude
12-07-2004, 07:11 AM
I would love to design a high school curriculum and start a chain of schools that teaches based on it. Eventually, that curriculum would replace the shi[/i]tty one in the public school system today.

dr. klopek
12-07-2004, 07:27 AM
realistic dream job: Buyer for a record store.

pipe dream job: whatever Kato Kaelin does.

cjromero
12-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Current job: Attorney (hate it)

Top dream job: GM of an MLB team

Secondary dream job: running a fantasy sports company

Craig

CCass
12-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Current Job: Upper Management at a Local level Govt Agency

Reasonably Attainable Dream Job: Politician

Non Attainable Dream Job: Professional Athelete

2planka
12-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Current Job: Regulatory Affairs, Medical Devices (zzzzz)

Dream Job: kept man (like george peppard in that lousy movie)

Will settle for: house husband

Pipe Dream Job: professional beer taster (hope there's overtime)

Wet Dream Job: sandwich guy for twin bisexual female gymnasts

fnord_too
12-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Dream Job: University Professor

Alternate: Portfolio Manager (or equally interesting quant position) BUT with 20 hour work weeks, not 60.

Basically, anything that lets me work when I wan't (with maybe a few core hours), work from home a lot, not have to be up at any given time, and is intellectually stimulating.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-07-2004, 11:08 AM
being full time pro at 15/30 NL blowjobs.

(on the reciving end)

((not from dudes))

(((stfu)))

Rick Diesel
12-07-2004, 11:10 AM
I don't think that a Playboy photographer would be that great. Being the nice guy that I am, most of the hot models would instantly place me in the "friend" category, thereby seriously hurting my chances of nailing any of them. This would lead to a permanant case of blue balls.

Although on the other hand, some say that the easiest way to pick up a hot chick is to hang out with a bunch of hot chicks, so that would be okay, but I am sure that most of the Playboy models would not want to hang out with me all the time.

Rick Diesel

fnord_too
12-07-2004, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playboy photographer, pffft. Hugh's heir apparent? Now THAT is a dream job. He just added a mansion in vegas, too.

Rick Diesel
12-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Current job: CPA and semi-pro poker player, transitioning into full-time poker player and part-time CPA

Dream job #1: Hype man (for those that don't know, this is the person that follows that rap star around the stage and repeats the last word of every line that the rapper says. Posse member wouldnt be a bad job either)

Dream job #2: caddie for Tiger Woods (Woods is the obvious choice here, because he plays in the fewest events, meaning less work, and makes the most money, of which the caddie generally gets 10%)

Dream job #3: punter, Pittsburgh Steelers (too much pressure on kickers, and backup QB may get called into action)

Realistic dream job: FBI or CIA agent

Rick Diesel

ddollevoet
12-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Brothel employment screener / trainer

elwoodblues
12-07-2004, 11:39 AM
I would think Playboy talent scout might have more fringe benefits.

nicky g
12-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Oooh yeah, entourage member would be good. I'd specifically want to be the guy Mike Tyson paid 300k a year to shout "Guerilla Warfare!" everywhere he went.

beerbandit
12-07-2004, 11:43 AM
driving this
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/901796/dumptruck2.jpg

or maybe a mattress tester -- beer taster

cheers

nicky g
12-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Actually I think mine would probably be restaurant reviewer. I can eat out twice a day for a week and not get sick of it; I just love it. And I like writing, and spending time with people one on one (which seems to be the standard review format - you and a guest of your choice). I'd have the guerilla warfare guy come with me.

IndieMatty
12-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Current job: Marketing and Business Development on Wall St.

Dream Job: Saturday Night Live writer/cast member.

Slightly more realistic dream job: Bar Owner

nolanfan34
12-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Good thread.

Current job: Public/media relations

Dream job in current field: PR/Media Relations gig with a MLB franchise

Down the road pipe dream job that might actually be possible: Owning/running my own winery.

namknils
12-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Current Job: Life Insurance Broker (Salesman)

Dream Job: NBA guard. This has been my dream job for a very long time, I wonder when I'm going to stop dreaming about it. I'm 22 now and getting old fast. BTW, there isn't any chance that it will actually happen, but I still dream.

KJS
12-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Travelling food critic.

A month in Asia searching for the perfect bowl of noodles. On a per diem. What a life.

KJS

Ulysses
12-07-2004, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would love to design a high school curriculum and start a chain of schools that teaches based on it. Eventually, that curriculum would replace the shi[/i]tty one in the public school system today.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're seriously interested in that, you should look into getting into the Charter School field.

Evan
12-07-2004, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alternate: Portfolio Manager (or equally interesting quant position) BUT with 20 hour work weeks, not 60.

[/ QUOTE ]
So I guess you'd be really pissed when you showed up and found out it was really 80.

Niwa
12-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Dictator. Good one though.

nolanfan34
12-07-2004, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're seriously interested in that, you should look into getting into the Charter School field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rules out moving back to Washington, unfortunately. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree with El D though, I thought that was a very interesting response, and an achievable goal. They do have charter schools in Cali, and you'd probably be interested in seeing the work the KIPP academies are doing, Dude.

IndieMatty
12-07-2004, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Down the road pipe dream job that might actually be possible: Owning/running my own winery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome answer.

IndieMatty
12-07-2004, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome answer.

WDC
12-07-2004, 03:58 PM
2nd choice state district court judge. Chances &gt;.0056% as long as I live ion Minneapolis.

B Dids
12-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Current Job: I'm a supervisor with the University of Washington.

Old Dream Job: In a life where I cared about politics, I wanted to grow up and be James Carville. Now I umm... don't. I think I'd end up killing myself.

New Dream Job: PR work of some sort. Not really a dream job, but the most realistic thing I could come up with that wasn't "Guy Paid to Dick Off On the Internet".

nolanfan34
12-07-2004, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, last time my wife and I were down in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, we saw a listing for a winery for sale, land, vines, etc, for about $2 mil. Hence, the "might actually be possible" disclaimer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

elwoodblues
12-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Plus it's an elected position. I don't want to run for office. Appoint me and I'll be happy /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IndieMatty
12-07-2004, 04:11 PM
I've had the same thoughts...9-5 is a drag. And I really like wine.

Mine would be close to home/NYC.

Long Island has always been known for it's "up and coming" status in the wine world. Seems like it's getting more street cred.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/28/news/midcaps/li_wine.reut/

Utah
12-07-2004, 04:13 PM
I have three:

Studio Guitar player (my tone deafness kinda killed this one)
High-End Strip Club Owner
Navy Seal (fascinated by it because I am such a wuss. I am afraid of bees. lol)

Ponks
12-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Current Job - Student

Dream Job - Poker Player :|

Ponks

beerbandit
12-07-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am afraid of bees

[/ QUOTE ]

i dislike bees also -- are you afraid of the bees or being stung by them

cheers

MS Sunshine
12-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Current job: internet poker pro

Pros:

The hours are excellent.

Cons:

I'm getting a little(sic) soft around the middle without a chance that this will improve without some ambition on my part(unlikely).

Losing blows.

Room for improvement:

If the woman of my dreams(my wife) would give me more BJs while I played poker(or for that matter any). Seems she has some standards.

Dream job:

Slimey political operative for a liberal PAC like MOVE.ON which tries to thwart the selling out of the USA by the current administation. Basically the dirty tricks guy that finds the person that pulled the National Gaurd records that showed that GWB was AWOL while others were fighting in Vietnam, because their daddys weren't poltically connected.

If my dream woman, with slighlty lower standards, was to visit the office regularly, that would be cool.

MS Sunshine

nolanfan34
12-07-2004, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If my dream woman, with slighlty lower standards, was to visit the office regularly, that would be cool.

MS Sunshine

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a better chance at the political operative thing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ulysses
12-07-2004, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A few people I know have done this. A good intermediate step is to buy a vineyard and sell your grapes. If you enjoy doing that, you can take the next step to full-on production.

Sponger15SB
12-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Fake Dream Job: Whatever TSC does, cause damn it seems like he does absolutely nothing and just sits on his ass all day.

Actual Dream Job: Poker Player, but without all the bitching and hatred from my family and friends.

Sponger15SB
12-07-2004, 05:36 PM
oh el diablo would you care to enlighten us as to your dream job.... because we all know about how you could make a trillion billion a year playing online poker yet you do not chose to, so i'm sure you've got some good fantasy jobs lined up.

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2004, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fake Dream Job: Whatever TSC does, cause damn it seems like he does absolutely nothing and just sits on his ass all day.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would trade you in a heart beat.

Sponger15SB
12-07-2004, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would trade you in a heart beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh c'mon! You do realize that I'm only 20, have a great girlfriend, I live on the ocean, I've got nothing but time to drink beer, play poker, frisbee golf, and surf and....

ehhh maybe you're right /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nolanfan34
12-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Interesting article. I certainly wouldn't think of NY being wine country, but I'll have to watch out for East Coast wineries it sounds like.

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2004, 05:50 PM
you forgot to mention that you have zero responsibilities.

GrunchCan
12-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Current Job: Software Engineer

Dream Job: Ski Patroller

MS Sunshine
12-07-2004, 10:37 PM
I'm coming off three years of being a ski bum. We lived in a little Utah ski town at 10K ft across the street from the main lift.

Year one:

Skied every day.

Year two:

Skied every perfect day when there wasn't a poker tournament I wanted to play.

Year three:

Hardly skied at all.

Skier burn-out, never thought it would happen.

MS Sunshine

Utah
12-08-2004, 01:19 PM
I am just afraid of them. I am not afraid of being stung at all. It is quite a weird phobia.

jakethebake
12-08-2004, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think Playboy talent scout might have more fringe benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent answer!

Tyler Durden
12-08-2004, 01:40 PM
My home state of VA also has some great wineries!