PDA

View Full Version : 9-9 facing a raise

dave44
12-06-2004, 11:26 PM
I usually call pre-flop raises without even thinking with 9's and up. Wise move?
Certainly I can't fold this flop, but should I call or raise?
After he simply calls my raise, I'm thinking he simply has high cards. After he bets again on the turn, I figure I'm probably beat but pay him off hoping to see AK bluffing at the queen. Should I have folded on the turn?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Shillx
12-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Pre-flop call is pretty thin. I don't think I would make it with just one coldcaller, but I don't like making coldcalls preflop when it is close. I'm sure others will let me have it for telling you that this call is just "pretty thin".

This is kind of an advanced line, but I don't know if it is good in the 1/2 game. I would call the flop, call the turn and fold the river. Bet when checked to, and fold to any check/raise. If the villian is a frequent bluffer or an unknown, I would call the river as well.

Shill

I'm kinda indifferent to the calldown after the Queen hits. If it were an Ace or King I would probably fold. If you really feel like he is bluffing the Queen, you should just start calling him down off the flop.

DontRaisePlz
12-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Definitely raise the flop, no question.

I lean towards folding the turn with a good read, would he bet into you unimproved? Since he couldn't possibly pick up a draw, is this a straight forward bet with AQ/KQ? Basically depends on how many times you think you're good here. He can still hit on the river anyway.

dave44
12-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Yea I think folding the turn would probably have been correct.