PDA

View Full Version : Good Party Stud SnG Strategy?

aLOWdAkING
12-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Hey all,
I've only played Stud and Stud Hi/Lo ring games, never tournaments. I've been thinking about experimenting with the tourneys at Party. Does anybody have any good input on how much to chance game and strategy when going from ring games to SnGs? Any help would be appreciated. Also, how fast do the antes/bring in bet increase?

beset7
12-07-2004, 08:42 AM
The limit and ante goes up every 10 hands. This structure rewards tight play during the first three or four levels. During this time, I literally only play completely live ultra-premium starting hands. I play the H/L ones however. Which probably have more action. It's best just to let the fish eat each other up during the first 3 levels. Unless of course you get a live one who wants to donate their stack to you. Otherwise, just sit back for a while. Maybe even set yourself to away and go have a bowl of cereal (just kidding). Playing too tight is generally a mistake in Stud but this just what has worked for me (and remember, I'm more concerned with cashing then winning. 1st is great but I'm happy with 3rd).

Then, after level three or four, loosen up a bit. Be the one doing the raising. You just need to pick up a pot or two at this point and you can coast ITM. But, if you get no cards, get ready to buy in to another one because once 3 or 4 are eliminated it picks up speed.

To be honest with you the single-table stud tournaments at Poker Stars are easier to be beat (IMHO). The longer-levels and a bigger chip stack to start with (15 minute levels w/ 1500 chips as opposed to 10 hands with 800 chips at PP) reward players with some skill. The party SNGs require more luck to win. They can be beaten consistently, however. After a relatively small sample I've got the respectable ROI of 35%.

PoorLawyer
12-07-2004, 11:41 AM
I agree with the 1st post. I do a lot of the stud/8 SnGs on stars and tried switching over to party and did not do as well and didn't like the structure as much. They take less time on party which is a bonus, but if that is important i would play the turbos on stars because they are quick too and even with the faster increasing blinds, you start with a larger stack to make it up. On party it seems like one bad 4 to wheel and brick brick brick and you are out of the tourney whereas on stars you can build yourself back up.