PDA

View Full Version : Calling a short stack all in with a draw?

Delphin
12-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">UTG (t416)</font>
MP (t880)
Button (t2834)
SB (t2325)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t1545)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t200) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t50</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t366 (All-In)</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls t316.

Turn: (t932) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t932) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t932
<font color="green">Main Pot: t932 (t932), between UTG and Hero.</font>

How should I have played this flop? Assuming my flush is good if I make it, I have proper pot odds for my 2:1 flush draw. Coupled with the fact that he's so short stacked and could have gone all in with anything, should I call? I'm in 3rd even if I call and miss...

The player was somewhat loose and very aggressive up to this point (which is how he got short stacked to begin with). I would expect him to have gone all in preflop with any resonable raising hand (pair, suited ace, maybe even Axo). Since he only called, I suspect a very speculative hand. Kx, Qxs, or Jxs or suited connectors or one gappers are all possibilities.

Result in white:
<font color="white"> UTG has Ks2h and takes it with a pair of kings </font>

Thanks!

ChrisV
12-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Check the flop. This weak lead screams "hi, I have a hand I don't want to pay a lot with, probably a draw" and I'd be raising you with any excuse. It's basically the same as checking except you put 50 in the pot.

If you check, then UTG bets allin and you fold because you don't have odds to call.

tubbyspencer
12-06-2004, 09:21 PM
I don't like calling off my chips when I can't beat a bluff.

You have absolutely NO chance to be ahead here, and if he has any pair, even low pair, you don't have even the 4s and 2s as outs.

Its also not impossible that he has 2 spades, which means he has a better draw than you (but you might have 6 outs). Your nightmare scenario is that he has Ks with another spade, which leaves you almost dead.

If you're going to call your money off, I think you have to have better chances than this. After all, the only bluff you can beat is 32. Which ain't all that likely.

rjb03
12-06-2004, 10:12 PM
You don't even beat 32.