PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the middle with ewwww...

Bill Smith
12-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Reads:

SB - Loose, passive preflop, but plays reasonably postflop.

UTG - 30% VP$IP/12% PFR, but had been caught raising QJo UTG+1. His aggression numbers are scary: 1.3 on flop, 3.2 on turn, 7.0 on river.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Easy call for 5:1, IMO.

Flop: (6 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

Question mark #1... bet into the preflop raiser with 2 overs?

Turn: (3 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

OESD + 2 overs... definitely gotta keep calling.

River: (9 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero...

I hit an over, but it puts a 3-flush to the board and SB just came back to life. Furthermore, I've got Mr. 7.0 River aggression behind me. Call, raise or fold?

Rubeskies
12-07-2004, 01:08 AM
For the record, I open-raise QJo from UTG+1 (MP) in party 5/10 6-max as well and I believe it is a good play.

DrGutshot
12-07-2004, 01:45 AM
Yeah...this hand blows....I call, and then call a raise, but I fold if SB 3bets. I feel like a fish when I get shown the best hand, though.

If SB knows that the villian is so aggro, then he could be betting out here with a weaker pair....right?

-DrG

Danenania
12-07-2004, 01:49 AM
I'd call and fold if UTG raises. I know he's aggressive on the river but he still sounds sane and SB is protecting you from a whacko raise.

DrGutshot
12-07-2004, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd call and fold if UTG raises. I know he's aggressive on the river but he still sounds sane and SB is protecting you from a whacko raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

7 river aggro stats? that is just about as far away from sane as you can get, unless this is only based off of like a 1 hand database.

-DrG

Jeff W
12-07-2004, 02:35 AM
I think you played it perfectly on the flop and turn. I call the river bet 10:1 but I'm not happy about it. I'd fold if Mr 7.0 raises. Even LAGs don't bluff raise protected pots.

Jdanz
12-07-2004, 02:42 AM
i probably semi-bluff raise the turn, you can still fold if stop and go-ed wo/hitting the river and get another bet if you hit any of your 14 possible outs. Anybody else?

-JDanz

Packerfan1
12-07-2004, 03:18 AM
If UTG doesn't have JJ, 88, or 55 I'll eat my hat.

I fold without much regret... ok maybe a little regret.

Pack

Danenania
12-07-2004, 03:23 AM
Pot is too small I think. Given the nature of this board I doubt SB is going to fold anything that he would bet out with.

sam h
12-07-2004, 03:30 AM
Fold.

What hands are you beating here given the way the action has gone down?

SBs of this profile are not betting the river with anything you can beat. Plus, high aggession notwithstanding, the PFR check the flop then raise the turn routine is a big hand sooooooo much of the time.

And anybody saying they would call a raise needs to get their head checked.

Danenania
12-07-2004, 03:44 AM
You know, after thinking about it some I'm leaning towards folding to the first river bet as well. Given his play, I think SB almost always has 2 pair or better here, and often has as good as a flush, if your passive read is right. Not to mention UTG waiting behind you with what is often something big. Erase UTG from the river and I say you win often enough to call, but adding him sways me towards a fold.

Bill Smith
12-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Well, good to see this was a borderline decision. My line of thinking was similar to that of Sam H and Danenania - what would SB bet here that I'm good against? And so...

Hero folds, UTG calls.

SB shows K9 for the rivered top pair.
UTG shows AT for the overplayed 2nd pair.

MHWG. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I was sure there had to be 2-pair out there, if not better.

Danenania
12-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Well, this was the exact scenario everyone wanting a calldown was envisioning. I'm not sure if it happens often enough to make calling right but it was certainly a worry I had.

Bill Smith
12-07-2004, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I open-raise QJo from UTG+1 (MP) in party 5/10 6-max as well and I believe it is a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this play +EV for you? Just curious - I usually only raise this from CO.

Rubeskies
12-07-2004, 06:03 PM
I don't have an sufficient sample size in my PT database to really know that but I believe it has been advocated by other posters on here. A poster on this thread that i know does it is Danenania.

I don't from UTG though.