PDA

View Full Version : I still don't know why I won this hand.

04-29-2002, 10:59 PM
A couple months ago I played in a Mirage Limit tourny which I ended up winning 1st place. One particular hand stands out that I can't stop thinking about.

About 4 tables left, break and rebuys are over. I am current chip leader at our table, I don't remember much of the specifics other than I had AsKs. The board was something like Q98xx. I raised preflop and had only one caller. I put the caller all in on the turn. He turns up J10 for a straight. After the river card is turned over, he turns over J10 for a straight. I turn over my AK and knowing I'm beat I say "Nice hand" as I always do when I'm beat. The pot is pushed to me and he gets up and leaves the Poker Room!

Huh?? How did I win, I say to myself without trying to make it too obvious that I didn't know I won the hand. I must of hit the flush. I had to of, I can't think of any other way I could have won. What bothers me is I didn't see it. I had so much going on in my head, I failed to do the easiest thing in hold'em: Read the Board Properly.

I guess my moral of this story isn't the hand itself, but the fact that I felt good, was playing what I thought was my "A" game. With all of that I STILL made a simple mistake of misreading the board. I have learned from this that no matter how good I'm playing, how good I'm concentrating, I'm probably still making moves that are beginner mistakes. It's just this time it was obvious to me. A real eye opener for me. I thought I would share this story with everyone.