PDA

View Full Version : Minor question

Danenania
12-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Here's one.

Typical Party 10/20 game, 6-handed. You raise UTG with 77 per usual. It is folded to an unknown Button who 3-bets. Blinds fold. You call. Flop comes 852r. You checkraise, button 3-bets. Now what? Just call down? Do you checkraise in the first place?

Joe826
12-06-2004, 06:18 PM
sometimes in this spot i like to check/call the flop and then lead the turn. if i get raised i'm usually mucking since most opponents won't raise the turn with overs here.

RunDownHouse
12-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Good lord, what is going on in your avatar?

gonores
12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
You've lost a lot of money to me if you take this line. This is a standard naked bluff line for mediocre to bad players, and as such, I raise the turn here basically every time.

Joe826
12-06-2004, 08:04 PM
i doubt i've lost any money to you as i've never played you. even if you're correct in raising here, i very very rarely get raised by overs in my 5/10 game. of course i'm sure i get push off the best hand every now and then, but overall it's pretty effective IMO. what would you suggest for the given situation?

Joe826
12-06-2004, 08:05 PM
i don't know but it's making me sick. i need to find another one. heheh.

joker122
12-06-2004, 09:22 PM
this is my standard line too. i'll vary it with a stop n go every once in a while, usually folding to the turn raise.

fearme
12-06-2004, 09:34 PM
he might be playing overcards strong for the free card, this is a common situation i think u can pay off unless u know the player does not bluff with overcards,

Danenania
12-07-2004, 01:16 AM
In this particular hand I called his 3-bet then checked the turn, which was a T. He checked behind. River was a J and I bet. He called with AKo.

My bullshit detector always goes off when I get 3-bet on a flop like this by an unknown, but I never feel that I can comfortably do anything about it. Capping and leading the turn feels excessive. I hate the turn stop n' go when heads up because I don't want to have to fold to a raise and I think my bet screams weakness, especially to a lag with AK. Yet I also hate checking the turn and giving a free card option.

Since I can't think of anything better, I guess I'll be staying with my current line as a default, even though it feels imperfect.

fearme
12-07-2004, 01:19 AM
are never easy

DrGutshot
12-07-2004, 01:29 AM
i love fearme's half subject-half body posts, they are so creative. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-DrG

Trix
12-07-2004, 03:32 AM
That line is very exploitable. Your goal shouldn´t be that either one of you gets out cheap here.

helpmeout
12-07-2004, 03:51 AM
I muck 77 UTG.

I really dont know what more you can do here, he has all the initiative and position.

This flop doesnt hit an UTG raiser who doesnt cap preflop so he doesnt fear you. He probably doesnt put you on 77 more like A9o+ KJo+ etc.

When he 3bets your checkraise I bail on the turn unimproved.

I'm not going to risk checkraising the turn when a low card arrives vs an unknown it is just too risky.

You could have bet out on the flop and 3bet when he raised you but then if he has a big pair he will probably raise the turn.

Its pretty tough vs an unknown.

joker122
12-07-2004, 03:58 AM
yes. always tons of content too.

Danenania
12-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Maybe all of them together form some sort of massive encoded data array that if broken spells out the perfect play for every possible situation in poker as well as revealing all secrets of the universe.

joker122
12-07-2004, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe all of them together form some sort of massive encoded data array that if broken spells out the perfect play for every possible situation in poker as well as revealing all secrets of the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe? i just assumed.

Joe826
12-08-2004, 01:21 PM
if i'm beat i'd like to get out cheap. besides, what exactly is your goal when you check/raise the flop? you're obviously hoping that the dude will fold. the difference is if you get 3-bet on the flop you have no idea where you are at. you'll get raised a significantly less amount of the time (again, atleast at 5/10) leading the turn and when you do there is a much greater chance you are beat. if anything i'd say alot of 5/10'ers would just call with their overpair fearing 2 pair or some such hand.

what do you think is the best line, and why? you and gonores are pretty good at telling me i'm wrong but it's not really adding anything to the discussion.