PDA

View Full Version : Cal football

M2d
12-06-2004, 06:00 PM
if you're from the bay area, they got screwed. if you're from texas, cal showed that they aren't one of the best teams in the country. blah blah blah. we could go on and on all day about that.

Here's the real point of this post: did anyone see that run that JJ Arrington made at the end of the game? the one that got called back on a questionable clipping flag? damn. one of the prettiest runs I've seen this year.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Don't get me wrong, I hate Texas, but did Cal win the Pac-10? NOPE! You can say they got screwed all you want but they held their fate in their own hands and screwed it up themselves.

Even though I hate Texas, I have to give Mack Brown credit. His 2 week letter campaign sure did the trick. The system is flawed and Mack used that to his advantage.

J.R.
12-06-2004, 06:18 PM
did texas even win their division, much less there conference? See how silly that argument is?

cjromero
12-06-2004, 06:29 PM
UT finished second in the Big 12 South behind OU and was clearly the second best team in the Big 12 this year. In that respect, they were similar to Cal. Cal lost to USC by 6. UT lost to OU by 12, but the Cal/USC game was much closer than the UT/OU game.

One difference is that there are probably two or three other teams in just the Big 12 South (Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and OSU) that were arguably as good or better than any teams in the Pac 10 other than USC and Cal. That is what helped UT in the computer rankings. UT and Cal were close in the human polls, but UT was significantly ahead in the computer rankings. Had this been under last year's BCS formula (when the computers were weighted more), UT would have had the last BCS spot locked up easily.

People have criticized Mack Brown for publicly lobbying for more votes, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Part of his job is to do everything possible to advance the interests of his team and his university. The fact that Jeff Tedford wasn't willing to engage in a self-promotion campaign hurt Cal. Plus, self-promotion and promoting UT (recruiting) is what Mack Brown does best. He sure can't coach in a big game.

Craig

sfer
12-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Yes. Cal blew it. A six point loss to the number team in the country on the road. They deserve a crap bowl.

stabn
12-06-2004, 06:30 PM
A pac-10 team should be in the rose bowl, end of story.

sfer
12-06-2004, 06:35 PM
The real travesty is that Michigan gets to play in a BCS game.

M2d
12-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Pitt is in and you pick on Michigan?

sfer
12-06-2004, 06:43 PM
They're both worth my scorn.

billyjex
12-06-2004, 06:50 PM
I just think it's hilarious that a team can win a game, while the other has a bye, yet move behind them in the BCS standings.

Absolute BS.

Also, the Rose Bowl is Texas vs. Michigan? College football is a joke.

Auburn fans should be pissed as well.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Cal blew it. A six point loss to the number team in the country on the road. They deserve a crap bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]They should be in Pitts place. Pitt didn't deserve a BCS bid, especially since they had an 8-3 record in probably one of the worst conferences in football.

jdl22
12-06-2004, 06:56 PM
I think the thing that hurt Cal is the same thing that hurt Oregon a few years ago when we got screwed. Tedford was the offensive coordinator at the time so he's quite familiar with getting screwed by the BCS by now. The problem is that both of these teams didn't run up the score as much as they could. Teams like Texas and of course the Florida teams do it and it's a good move. Most people voting don't watch your games so it's best to run it up. Clearly in this case Cal got beat out because Brown would do anything he could and Tedford would not.

As for Michigan and Pitt making it, this is another flaw with the BCS. Teams winning their conference and doing horribly in nonconference games still make it in. Compare this to teams like Cal and Texas who did extremely well and didn't make it in or were close because they lost to a team playing in the BCS title game and it doesn't make sense. They really need to get a playoff going.

Number4
12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that both of these teams didn't run up the score as much as they could.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, and is the reason the system is terrible. I saw Texas fake field goal up big on frickin Rice this year. Cal is better, should be in the game, the system sucks. Hopefully something will happen where the teams can prove it on the field.

M2d
12-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Was no one amazed at Arrington's run? I thought it was unbelievable.

M2d
12-06-2004, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly in this case Cal got beat out because Brown would do anything he could and Tedford would not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got back to the office from our other facility. Was listening to the sports talk station. Brent Jones was on there and, being that it's the Bay Area, Cal Football was the topic Du Jour. Brent said "in the end, it's about the example you set for the kids you're trying to lead".

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did texas even win their division, much less there conference? See how silly that argument is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably should have been more clear...

I didn't mean my arguement was to show why Texas deserved a bid while Cal didn't. My arguement was simply that neither team has the right to bitch since they both held their own fate in their own hands and lost it by losing a game.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't deserve a crap bowl but the BCS Bowls are for conference champs. Win your conference and then we'll talk is all I'm saying.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]They should be in Pitts place. Pitt didn't deserve a BCS bid, especially since they had an 8-3 record in probably one of the worst conferences in football.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have still yet to recognize I pointed out many things in the Pitt thread you created last night. Review and then post :

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1346564&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

sfer
12-06-2004, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

They don't deserve a crap bowl but the BCS Bowls are for conference champs. Win your conference and then we'll talk is all I'm saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read JR's post. All you're saying is that Texas doesn't deserve a Rose Bowl invite either.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read JR's post. All you're saying is that Texas doesn't deserve a Rose Bowl invite either.

[/ QUOTE ]

They deserve it in respect to they are the top BCS ranked at-large team. Neither Cal or Texas really deserve it over the other though. BCS is setup to reward conference champs. The 2 at-large spots are just there to fill in 2 leftover spaces. My point being if you want a BCS Bid, win your conference. If you don't win your conference, you have nothing to bitch about if you lose out... when in a situation like this, someone is going to lose out.

Auburn is really the only team I feel that has a reason to bitch. They did what they were supposed to do to play for the National Championship... win all their games and win a SEC Title. They are left out though so you have the same situation. How can you seriusly say USC or Oklahoma deserves to play for the National Championship over Auburn?

I really think these bowls screwed up majorly selecting their teams though. Why not put Utah & Aurburn up against each other in the Sugar Bowl? Can you imagine the ratings on that game? It would be just as good as the National Championship game. Why not then put Pitt against VaTech? This has been a HUGE rivalry the last 3 years with Pitt winning all 3. Lot of hated between the 2 teams and with VaTech gone to the ACC, this game would be a punch in the mouth. They could create so many stories from this matchup that it for sure would get the viewers. Michigan of course in the Rose Bowl with Texas as default. People will watch the Rose Bowl no matter who's in it.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 08:48 PM
I want you to tell me why Pitt deserves to be there. Using a 9-3 team from 3 years ago is not a reason.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want you to tell me why Pitt deserves to be there. Using a 9-3 team from 3 years ago is not a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES IT DOES! Pitt deserves it just as much as all those other 8-3 (and 9-4) teams who have played in the BCS. No one complained then, so you have no reason to complain now.

And it's not just 1 8-3 team 3 years ago... 5 of the last 6 years a team has played in a BCS Bowl with 3 losses (and FSU in 2002 had 4 losses) with 2 of those teams not even ranked!

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 08:54 PM
I am not going to look it up, which two teams weren't ranked in a BCS game.

stabn
12-06-2004, 09:01 PM
It also doesn't matter. Just because other teams that shouldn't have made it did doesn't mean that pitt should be there because it doesn't deserve it. There's just no way pitt should be in the BCS.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 09:08 PM
precisely, his argument lacks logic. Bottomline, the big east should not have an automatic BCS bid.

offTopic
12-06-2004, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was no one amazed at Arrington's run? I thought it was unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alas, I followed through with my plan to take my GF and my folks out to dinner (I thought that to deviate from that plan for a football game would affect my "fan karma" /images/graemlins/blush.gif ) so not only did I miss it on tv, I had to listen to Joe Starkey describe it...which means it was difficult to infer at all exactly what happened.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It also doesn't matter. Just because other teams that shouldn't have made it did doesn't mean that pitt should be there because it doesn't deserve it. There's just no way pitt should be in the BCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precedence means everything my friend. If you went to court for some charge and you got a favorable decision because of precedence, would you be not deserving of that favroable decision?

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
dude, learn how to post links, this is annoying, and you have done it on several occasions.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
precisely, his argument lacks logic. Bottomline, the big east should not have an automatic BCS bid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like I'm talking to a wall here. Try to think out of the box for a second and I'll copy over one of my old post :

What's ridiculous is that the NCAA didn't have the balls to stop something that was ILLEGAL! They let Miami and VaTech leave the Big East without warning leaving the Big East to scramble to try to collect itself. What they did was a violation of conference rules but those didn't hold up in court to change things.

The NCAA's should have stood up though and stopped it so the LEAST that the NCAA owes the Big East is to give it a chance to recollect itself. Let's reverse the senerio and tell me what you think...

Miami and VaTech officially decided to join the ACC in July of 2003 and it starts effective the next school year So let's go back 5 months and say it's July 2004 :

Oklahoma & Texas announce they are leaving the Big-12 effective the next school year. Big-12 e doesn't add any teams in time for the 2005 football season. Would they still deserve their automatic BCS Bid?

USC & Cal announce they are leaving the PAC-10 effective the next school year. Pac-10 doesn't add any teams in time for the 2005 football season. Would they still deserve their automatic BCS Bid?

Auburn & Georgia announce they are leaving the SEC effective the next school year. SEC doesn't add any teams in time for the 2005 football season. Would they still deserve their automatic BCS Bid?

Michigan & Iowa announce they are leaving the Big-10 effective the next school year. Big-10 doesn't add any teams in time for the 2005 football season. Would they still deserve their automatic BCS Bid?

Miami & VaTech announce... okay, bad example

Now some of those you can still argue they could still hold a bid such as the SEC or Big-12 MAYBE. You can't argue that Big-10 or PAC-10 would deserve to keep their BSC Bid though if you believe the Big East doesn't deserve theirs. If what happened to the Big East happened to any of these other major conferences though, you got to give them the benefit of the doubt and a little time before you go saying they don't deserve a BCS Bid.

The Big East will be back. WVU was supposed to be a National Championship contender this year but choked. BC was supposed to be a real good team but they also choked. Conferences have their up and down years... it just so happened the teams that were supposed to do well in the Big East this year didn't do what these so called experts expected them to do.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 09:16 PM
yes I have read this already, thanks though.

The Big East sucks, admit it.

sam h
12-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Did Mack call in some favors from his friends in the coaching fraternity?

Whether he did or not, any coach that picked Cal below sixth should never be allowed to participate in the poll again.

BottlesOf
12-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Yea, It sucks they have the automatic bid conisdering the shape they're in, but you earlier in this thread said they're one of the worst conferences in college football. That is clearly not true.

AncientPC
12-07-2004, 02:26 AM
CNNSi Analyst Comments (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/stewart_mandel/12/05/bcs.review/index.html)

In summary of the article:
[ QUOTE ]
The BCS is a travesty, a sham, an all-out crime against humanity. But, man, is that USC-Oklahoma game going to be awesome. But is it exciting enough to override all other elements of this latest, flawed postseason?

Good
1. A truly epic Orange Bowl matchup reminiscent of some of the great pre-BCS classics.
2. A deserving Utah team will make history in the Fiesta Bowl.

Bad
1. The integrity of the polls comes into question.
2. The No. 19 team in the country gets one of the top eight bowl spots.
3. There are five undefeated teams, and only two are playing each other.
4. Umm, Auburn.

And thus, we come to this year's inherent dilemma. In many ways, the system has hit a new low. But it's the same system that allows us to watch USC play Oklahoma.

Damn you, BCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes up for the fact that UT got screwed by the BCS last year, there really needs to be playoffs.