PDA

View Full Version : Are these articles good advice?

Sarge85
12-06-2004, 05:14 PM
As i look to improve my shorthanded play - I'm wondering if you more experienced 6-handed players would like to chime in on the content of these articles I've seen at Poker Pages (thanks for JasonHold'em for pointing them out)

Does the series of articles seem to be good advice?

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/archives/jason-pohl01.htm

EliteNinja
12-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Good ideas about the fact that a player CAN beat short-handed games for more money just because of the sheer number of hands you play per given amount of time. But it really doesn't have much content on HOW to beat them.

bandfan
12-06-2004, 06:02 PM
i read that about a year ago (along with pretty much every single archived article on there) i quickly read a little bit of the beginning, sounds like a good article. pokerpages has tons of good articles to read through.

Sarge85
12-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Is there a difinitive work on the subject?

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

sublime
12-06-2004, 06:46 PM
sarge-

crockpot has this essay on his site:

Short Handed Pots (http://www.winningonlinepoker.com/shortpots.htm)

nothing earth shattering, but a good essay regardless.

kiddo
12-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Dont trust this guy, he is talking about coming in with 40% because it is said in a malmuth/sklansky book. Its ok if its headsup or 3way, but he is talking about SH at internet and that is always 5 or 6 players and seeing more then 30% is def. EV-

He also says that bluffs of all kinds often is good. Well, if u got 2 players seeing 60% of flops and going to showdown with almost anything bluffing is expensive and stupid. Against 2 players on turn u a bluff is good if they will fold, bad if they dont, got little to do with if there were 5 or 10 people preflop. Or the number of players getting cards preflop is only 1 of many factors.

zephed56
12-06-2004, 08:18 PM
When he's saying play 40% of hands, he could mean including the blinds. VPIP does not count the free flops you see from the BB.

My "saw flop all hands" is about 35%...

Peter_rus
12-06-2004, 08:32 PM
I agree with Kiddo. Bluffing much is a disaster in loose SH games. Actually i bluff rare and only when i scared a table. The other bets are bets for value, when i think that here is good chance im ahead.