PDA

View Full Version : Attempted blind steal w/weak Ace, flopped TP.

Fat Nicky
12-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Villain is unknown.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises???

Ok?

MoreWineII
12-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Did you misclick on the flop?

Fat Nicky
12-06-2004, 05:06 PM
No, figuring I had the best hand, I wanted to induce him to bluff the turn.

I guess you think my play is terrible. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MoreWineII
12-06-2004, 05:11 PM
I honestly can't say. This isn't a line I'm familiar with. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So your thought was maximizing your profit with a hand you thought was way the best? Hmmmm.

Interested in hearing other opinions on this.

eric5148
12-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Your line of thinking is a little too fancy for Party 3/6. Bet the flop, raise the turn.

Fat Nicky
12-06-2004, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So your thought was maximizing your profit with a hand you thought was way the best? Hmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thinking.

colgin
12-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Against an unknown I don't think this is a bad line. When you are ahead, which is often, you are pretty far ahead and a free card is unlikely to hurt you. You stand a decent chance of getting youroppoent to bluff into you at least once, maybe twice, when he might have otherwise folded to your flop bet. Plus, if you would have called down had you been check-raised on the flop then you save yourself 1 SB by playing this way when you happen to be behind and don't imrpove.

I am not sure about the river raise. If your oppoent was bluffing will he pay you off? If he has a Queen he probably will if he was just bluffing probably no (although some Partyplayers will call with only a bluff /images/graemlins/laugh.gif). You will definitely get re-raised when you are behind and will have to pay that off because your opponent might re-raise you with Ax knowing that he is likely looking at a split pot at worst. Since you would have to call a re-raise here and there is a very good chance a worse hand does not pay you off, I just call the river bet.

Moozh
12-06-2004, 06:36 PM
I actually like this play. If you discount the flush draw, I agree that the hero is either way ahead or way behind. In that sense, a free card won't hurt. Also, raising from the button and betting an ace high flop makes it very hard for a weak opponent to call without an ace (or a 7 in this case). This makes the flop a bad value bet.

One of the best benefits of a blind steal is your later position. Here, you get to use it to decide when to pop him back. I think the decision on the turn is a lot closer than the decision on the flop. If you think he has the queen, you probably want to raise him here. Otherwise, you have him pretty much drawing dead and it would be beneficial to gain an extra bet on the river. The only reason I wouldn't raise the turn is that it would look like a slowplayed ace, and very likely would kill your action.

On the river you have to raise because you're ahead of so many hands here. More importantly, I see him calling down with a lot of the hands you beat. Any queen or six will definitely call. He could also have a low pocket pair, or even king high. You're behind AK and AQ (unlikely), and a third 7 (very unlikely). I don't think you worry about a boat here. Since it's so unlikely you're behind, you raise the river for value.

me454555
12-06-2004, 06:44 PM
I like it

Fat Nicky
12-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Colgin seemed to be the one on the right track here.

Villain had A7 for the flopped boat and MHING.