PDA

View Full Version : Confusing hand

JDErickson
12-06-2004, 03:50 PM
From memory. Sorry no history. Party 2/4 10 handed. Opponent is average Party player. Stats 40/4

I am on button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG raises, folded to me, I 3 bet, UTG Calls.

Flop. Some rainbow assembly of cards 8 high. No straights possibilties.

UTG bets, I raise, UTG 3 bets, I cap.

Turn 9 (complete rainbow and no straight possibilities)

UTG checks, I bet, UTG raises, I 3 bet, UTG caps

River rag

UTG bets, I call.

Comments?

prairieboy
12-06-2004, 04:15 PM
The more I think about it (and this is my 4th draft on a reply) the more I think he had AA. But I agree that his play is very confusing.

PREFLOP: He rarely raises, but managed to raise UTG - gotta be AK or a pocket pair. He didn't re-raise you which argues against AA, but he may just want to see the flop before committing, which is consistent with someone who doesn't like to raise preflop.

FLOP: He bets and raises with impunity. He sure likes the flop so AK is out. Does he have 88? Maybe, but he doesn't seem like someone who would raise 88 preflop UTG. An overpair JJ-AA seems more reasonable here.

TURN: He checkraises and caps. No fear here. He's convinced that he's got you beat. Maybe he raised preflop with the 8's, or hit his 9, but I'm sticking with a BIG overpair.

RIVER: The river is a blank and his foot's still on the gas, I'm going with AA.

Aces McGee
12-06-2004, 04:18 PM
JDE

How many hands had you played with this guy? What were the table conditions at the time this hand was played?

-McGee

Victor
12-06-2004, 04:20 PM
I like how you played it. Due to his cap preflop 88 and 99 seem unlikely. However, when he caps the turn I would get a little worried. Most likely he has AA or KK or QQ. I do not like raising the river because now you lose 2 extra bets when you are behind.

droolie
12-06-2004, 04:23 PM
He most likely has a high pocket pair in which case you split at worst. Therefore I'd raise this on the river as well. With his stats if he actually raised preflop with 88 or 99 tip your cap and move on.

tolbiny
12-06-2004, 04:25 PM
"I like how you played it. Due to his cap preflop 88 and 99 seem unlikely"

Villan doesn't cap it preflop, he raises and calls the three bet. Once he c/r the turn i call down here against an unknown. You have have raised 3 times and bet out once by the turn already, sometimes he has KK or QQ but that has to be more than twice as often as 88 or 99 as he will always cap (or checkraise the river)

Fat Nicky
12-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Against this player, I think I'm putting in 1 more raise on the river because It think he has KK, QQ, or JJ.

sthief09
12-06-2004, 04:35 PM
chop chop?

by the way, I generally cold call in that spot preflop. you don't mind at all if the blinds want to come along. you have the opportunity to get rid of them on the flop with a raise since you've kept the pot small. it's also more likely than usual that he has a pocket pair and will 3-bet you. it's a good situation to be in

JDErickson
12-06-2004, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JDE

How many hands had you played with this guy? What were the table conditions at the time this hand was played?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Only have 60 hands with him. Table is fairly tight agressive. I followed a huge maniac to the table. Approx 1/2 the players had decent stats on. This player I had never seen but got these stats from this table.

JDErickson
12-06-2004, 04:47 PM
What is the 1 hand you would play exactly like he did?

wuwei
12-06-2004, 05:19 PM
99 would be about it.

If I was the hero in this hand, I'd call the turn c/r and call a bet on the river.

Aces McGee
12-06-2004, 06:00 PM
That the table is tight aggressive makes it slightly more probable that he raised preflop with 88 or a smaller pair that flopped a set. Pocket eights isn't a UTG raising hand for a guy with 4% PFR under loose game conditions, but if it's a tight-aggressive table, I could see it happening. Then again, 60 hands isn't much, either. Maybe he's been cold-decked. Have you noticed him limping with big hands?

I think just calling the turn c/r and then calling the bet on the river is too weak. I like the 3 bet. Once it comes back capped and he leads the river, it basically boils down to which of two scenarios is most probable:

Scenario 1 (actually two scenarios, but whatever): He'd raise preflop with 88 under these game conditions OR He'd raise 99 preflop and 3 bet the flop with his overpair.

OR

Scenario 2: He'd checkraise/cap the turn/lead the river after you capped the flop with something less than AA.

It seems Scenario 1 is more likely, even given his preflop stats. I really don't see him playing like this with KK or QQ. So I'd just call the river. Or was your question more about the turn?

-McGee

JDErickson
12-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Opponent did have 99 and hit the turned set.

I figured it out as soon as he bet the river. No other hand made sense the way he played it. His flop 3 bet was maybe a little much but I might have played it the same way.

Jim

me454555
12-06-2004, 06:41 PM
I raise that river and call a 3 bet sounds like you chopped.

Trix
12-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Unless he is a total moron, then you are behind or even when he check-raises you on the turn. I would have called the flop 3bet and raised the turn, but called down if he 3bet then. I think any raise you make after his flop 3bet will usually put him in call down mode when you are ahead, which you often are here, so you gain an SB more that way.

The turn 3bet is really bad imo, you arent ahead very often there. The flop bet-3bet line shows alot of strenght and you capped anyway and now he check-raises you on the turn knowing you have a big pair, so better give him credit for something better.

I canīt believe someone wanted to raise the river, thats just horrid.

me454555
12-06-2004, 08:25 PM
I voted for raising the river (obviously a mistake)

My quesion to you is this. Disregarding the results, what range of hand do you put you're opponent on? I thought it unlikely for him to hit a set on flop given his pf play and the texture of the flop. Really, the only hand I was worried about was 99 which he had.

I could however see somoene with QQ or KK playing their hand like this, same thing w/AA.