PDA

View Full Version : Best Game Platform For Young Children?

Drac
12-06-2004, 03:02 PM
The grandparents have offered to buy a video game platform for my kids. While I don't know that we'll even allow this to happen yet, I'm curious as to what system would be the best for a 6 year old. Obviously I'm looking at games like Pac Man or other non violent, kid oriented programs. I'd really like to get some help here as I'm completely clueless. I do all my gaming on a PC and don't know diddly squat about the XBox, PS2, etc. Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

jakethebake
12-06-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The grandparents have offered to buy a video game platform for my kids. While I don't know that we'll even allow this to happen yet, I'm curious as to what system would be the best for a 6 year old. Obviously I'm looking at games like Pac Man or other non violent, kid oriented programs. I'd really like to get some help here as I'm completely clueless. I do all my gaming on a PC and don't know diddly squat about the XBox, PS2, etc. Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

[/ QUOTE ]
My wife and I decided our kids would have video games when they bought them for themselves. The best game platform for kids is still the backyard IMO. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

elwoodblues
12-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Nintendo has usually aimed at more non-violent games than the others. That might be changing, but I would suspect it is the way to go.

Matty
12-06-2004, 03:08 PM
N64

YourFoxyGrandma
I'll second that. PS2 and Xbox are very geared towards older, more violence-hungry gamers, at least moreso than gamecube.

WEASEL45
Nintendo gamecube

Drac
12-06-2004, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife and I decided our kids would have video games when they bought them for themselves. The best game platform for kids is still the backyard IMO. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this for the most part which is why I haven't decided if we'll even go this route. It's a lot easier to send the kids to the back yard in January in Miami than in Minnesota.

Matty
12-06-2004, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nintendo gamecube

[/ QUOTE ]Uh, that's what I meant to say.

stabn
12-06-2004, 03:24 PM
You definitely want to get them the gamecube. That or a game boy advance SP. That way they can take it with them on car trips, airplanes, etc. Nintendo owns the young market, since they've been catering to them for years. Both Xbox and PS2 have less games for youngers and, frankly, most of the ones they do have suck.

namknils
12-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Leapfrog.

It's educational.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-06-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You definitely want to get them the gamecube. That or a game boy advance SP. That way they can take it with them on car trips, airplanes, etc. Nintendo owns the young market, since they've been catering to them for years. Both Xbox and PS2 have less games for youngers and, frankly, most of the ones they do have suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you do get a system, there's clearly no better option than the Gamecube combo pack that's out right now with 2 controllers and MarioKart. That game is enough to buy the system by itself. A gameboy would also be a decent suggestion, but instead of the SP, I'd go for the DS - it just came out and is replacing the SP.

jakethebake
12-06-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a lot easier to send the kids to the back yard in January in Miami than in Minnesota.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. We actually lived in St Louis when we made the decision...still not quite Minn. Regardless, it seems like you got enough hesitancy about having it at all, so that if you do, you'd limit usage to something reasonable. The couch potato generation just makes me nuts.

stabn
12-06-2004, 03:45 PM
A DS is extra money and isn't really worth it over the SP. THe SP has a huge library of games, while the DS currently has few. Also, these are kids, and frankly, the DS is huge and is geared more towards adults (hense DS instead of gameboy DS).

The DS can play gameboy advance games, but, it also has a small stylus etc, which will be very easy for kids to lose. The SP overall is a much better investment for kids, IMO, based on price, games, and size.

Drac
12-06-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a lot easier to send the kids to the back yard in January in Miami than in Minnesota.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. We actually lived in St Louis when we made the decision...still not quite Minn. Regardless, it seems like you got enough hesitancy about having it at all, so that if you do, you'd limit usage to something reasonable. The couch potato generation just makes me nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I have a strong attraction to computer/video games so it's probably in their blood. Fortunately I also love basketball, hockey, etc. so they should have a pull toward activities. Finding the right balance will be a constant challenge but there will be limits on games, not on activities.

Men the Master
12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
I don't know how many kids you have. But if you have three, let the grandparents buy them one a piece. Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, and Xbox. Then play with them yourself. The games today are just too violent for kids.

smoore
12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
gamecube, all the way. I think the gameboys are trouble for young kids, what with jealousy of peers and trouble at school.

stabn
12-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Every game today is not too violent for kids, stop listening to tv news bs scare tactics.

MarkL444
12-06-2004, 04:06 PM
this exact same question was posted about 2 weeks ago, if that. either way i wouldnt waste my time looking at, it pretty much just says gamecube a bunch of times like this one does (which is by far the right answer)

youtalkfunny
12-07-2004, 06:07 AM
I'm in the same spot.

I saw all the recommendations for the Cube.

I bought the PS2 anyway.

When I was a kid, I had an Atari. The controller was a stick and a button.

Then Nintendo came out, and it had TWO buttons. I couldn't cope. I quit playing video games.

Now I have kids.

I bought the system with the most elaborate controls. They'll never feel that sense of helplessness that I once did.

MarkL444
12-07-2004, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the same spot.

I saw all the recommendations for the Cube.

I bought the PS2 anyway.

When I was a kid, I had an Atari. The controller was a stick and a button.

Then Nintendo came out, and it had TWO buttons. I couldn't cope. I quit playing video games.

Now I have kids.

I bought the system with the most elaborate controls. They'll never feel that sense of helplessness that I once did.

[/ QUOTE ]

the main issue is, game selection. ps2 has a lot of games and all, and probably its fair share of kid games, but gamecube has all the mario type games and [censored] that are perfect. plsu pretty soon your kids are gonna ask you to buy them grand theft auto. take it back while theres still hope.

A_C_Slater
12-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Nintendo Gamecube is the most "kid friendly" game system among the Big 3. And it's not even close.