PDA

View Full Version : How "BIG" of a mistake if any...

Sarge85
12-06-2004, 12:08 PM
In general....

How "big" of a mistake would it be if I chose never to cold call a raise again. Either Raise or Fold.

This question is heavy on the "in general" portion.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

djoyce003
12-06-2004, 12:16 PM
It's not a big mistake. According to the SSHE book, they reccommend cold calling raises with AQs, KQs, maybe AJs...can't remember. I know i'm right on the AQs and KQs. Anything else is a fold or raise. So if you were to raise these, or fold these, you'd be making a mistake according to them, but not a glaring mistake. You are only supposed to reraise with premium holdings, fold the rest. I try to play according to these guidelines unless i'm raised by a maniac or I think it's a steal.

Bob T.
12-06-2004, 12:16 PM
I think it would be a tiny mistake if it is a mistake at all. I can think of some situations, where I might coldcall a raise, but if I didn't coldcall, and just folded with those hands, I wouldn't be losing much equity.

JimRivett
12-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Pre flop, I think it's what you should do.

On a check raise, if it's a live game, with the emphasis on folding, no mistake or perhaps a very small mistake. On line, at least a medium mistake.

The rest, with no player reads, not a big mistake.

Jim

Keats13
12-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Does this include if there are several other cold-callers already in? My cold-calling standards expand to include most pp's and some decent suited connectors if there are already 3+ cold-callers in front of me.

With no one in between the raiser and you, I don't think limiting yourself to 3-bet/fold is a big mistake, if it is even a mistake at all.

Fat Nicky
12-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Totally eliminating a move from your arsenal will always be a mistake IMO.

Festus22
12-06-2004, 01:18 PM
A-Js on the button. Loose UTG raises, 2 cold callers to you.

7-7 on the button. A raise and 3 cold callers.

I think it would be a mistake to 3-bet these and a mistake to fold them. Would either be huge? No. How often does this scenario actually happen? Rarely online but more frequently live where the play is more loose, passive.

QuickLearner
12-06-2004, 02:22 PM
I agree, Keats. I'm never the first one to call two, but if others are in for two I'll recheck pot odds and factor my player reads. Sometimes a table goes absolutely nuts if more than one person calls and you end up with a chance to call a cap on the same round. Then you REALLY feel stupid.

If I am new to the table I muck so fast my wrist hurts. To asnwer the original question, I think its a very small mistake.

lu_hawk
12-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Never being the first to coldcall a raise would hardly be a mistake. Sure there might be some very limited circumstances where being the first coldcaller is +EV but if you never do it you'll hardly be missing out on anything.

The more coldcallers between you and the raiser the bigger mistake never coldcalling becomes.