PDA

View Full Version : how bad was this preflop call

08-27-2001, 09:45 AM
to set things up i am a tight aggressive player that never plays 56 suited connectors. However i was playing in a 4/8 holdem game when a maniac sits down and starts straddling and capping preflop with nothing all night long. He causes the table to build pots that was rendering $250 to 280 pots. After playing tight all night i just could not resist. i limp in with 5h6h preflop and no raising preflop. The flop comes up 2h 4d jc. i am in middle late position and it is capped. One women has a pair of fours. Seven people stay in with the cap. The turn is the 3s. Thuye woen with the set bets i raise and it 5 players stay in and it is capped. It is checked to me i bet three callers. The flop is a rag. I take it down with the 6 high straight. I win about $260.

Comments?

08-27-2001, 12:18 PM
If you can get in preflop for one bet with maniacs in the game, go for it. If it is being raised and reraised preflop literally every hand, though, you need to go to the other extreme and become tighter than a piece of granite, playing maybe as tight as only AA, KK, QQ, AKs and JJ, because your implied odds are destroyed.

Also watch your position. The time to limp 56s is late position, only. I play this type of hand reasonably routinely on the low limits online, with say 4 limpers to me, I'll limp it in the last 2 or 3 positions.

Chris

08-27-2001, 12:26 PM
thanks chris i got really luck here- after the maniac's heater faded his mood changed and he lost almost all this chips.

it was amazing that the one time i played a hand like this the entire table entered the pot so passively.

08-27-2001, 04:26 PM
Your preflop call was from a late middle position. Everyone had called to you, and you called. This is an alright call if you expected to get in cheap. If the maniac was still to act, I think this is a poor call, otherwise I think it is a very acceptable call preflop.

On the flop... you didn't give any details of how the betting came to you, but it was capped. Your immediate odds were 34:4 or 8.5:1, you have 5 outs with 47 cards remaining (includes runner runner flush)42:5... 8.4:1. IMO, your call on the flop is justified (maybe), but very boarder line, and extremely high in variance. I wouldn't fault you for calling because you were probably trapped (called 1 bet then raised and reraised back to you, then called 2 more cold...). Note to make your call justified you needed 7 callers on the flop. If you had even 6 callers, it would have been a poor play. Your play was that close.

Just My Thoughts,

Derrick

08-30-2001, 06:54 AM

08-30-2001, 10:03 PM
The problem with flopping 2 pair with 65 is that often they will not be top 2 pair... if the board pairs without hitting your 6 or 5 your hand is often destroyed.

I agree though that 2 pair of 65 is better then 2 pair of T9. Everyone will have straight cards around your T9, and you will often be a dog against a bunch of draws.

Derrick