PDA

View Full Version : 6max vs full 10h game

k000k
12-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Background: I'm trying to get settled into 1/2 permanently, I'm totally destroying the .5/1 tables, but I'm getting slaughtered in the 10h 1/2 game to the tune of about 5bb/hr after 5k hands.. I know I've taken some horrendous beats, all my 1/2 stats are near identical to my .5/1 stats, except W$SD which is only 41% in 1/2 vs 53.7 in .5/1, AKs AKo AQs AJo QQ JJ are my biggest losers, imagine that.. Yaya small sample size blahblahblah, still very frustrating.. I know what good 10h stats are, but not 6max. Obviously you have to play looser, and I've heard 6max tables are a lesson in aggression, so:

Questions: I'm a very aggro player, so maybe my game is more suited to the 6max tables vs the full 10h games, yes/no?

For a TAG player, are the 6max tables easier to beat than 10h in general?

What VP$IP/PFR/aggro factor should I be shooting for?

droolie
12-06-2004, 09:57 AM
I think HEFAP recommends playing preflop as if the first four hands folded in a full ring game with UTG being like MP in full games.

zephed56
12-06-2004, 12:30 PM
I recently made the move to 1/2 6-max from .5/1.
My .5/1 vpip started out at about 25%, then went down little by little to about 17%.
In 6-max, I am about 26% vpip.

The game is a bit different than .5/1.
The bad players aren't as bad postflop, meaning they fold more postflop. However, they are almost all very loose, so it evens out. It's way more fun, you get to play a ton of hands, and the best hand is sometimes A high.

runa
12-06-2004, 02:44 PM
You should probably surf/post in the HUSH forum section for better feedback on this, but I can give you a couple pointers.

Being very aggro is a good skill at 6-max. You should constantly be betting/raising, and the bet or raise/fold tip fits in even more. The 6 max games are not easier to beat, it just requires a different set of skills. You need to be more apt in reading particular players and more comfortable in playing in the blinds. Also your raising & 3-betting standards should lower quite a bit, so raise UTG with KJ, etc. Also read HEPFAP on SH play. Play mid pair as strong as top pair, drawing hands play differently since you don't usually have the odds for them, 3-bet with 66 more often, etc.

Your hand selection will change, and your VPIP may change a little but not that much (23% is probably ok, PFR of 15% or so is probably about right).

Here's a good link to SH tips, and let the LAG out!
Nemesis's 6max starting compendium (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=1215269&fpa rt=1&PHPSESSID=)

Jay36489
12-06-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm in the exact same boat. I was killing .5/1 and hit my mark to move up. I heard 6max 1/2 is better at pp and its supposedly good for your game. I tried it last night and the swings and aggression was a little scary. I pulled out 3BB/100 over a very short time but chickened out anyway and quit. Decided I needed more research. thanks for the links.

runa
12-06-2004, 07:51 PM
I definitely encourage you and anyone else that's advancing to 1/2 to try out the SH tables for at least 10k hands or so. The skills you gain are definitely worth the effort and there are some really interesting players there (lots of action junkies, raise anything, VPIP 80+, who needs an ATM?). Its alot of fun and also great for clearing bonuses since some tables run 70-80 hands/hr. Beware the swings tho, as you said. At 1/2 300BB is probably sufficient, but as you go up they recommend 500BB to keep the swings in check.

Good luck!