PDA

View Full Version : Isolation Attempt Gone Wrong

wuarhg
12-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Villain is a pure LAG, stats 50/27, saw him cap with rags earlier. He isn't that LAGgy postflop though. My thoughts on the turn were that I might still have the best hand and I could get it folded to Villain here, Was it acceptable? And the river bet, what do you people think of that? I can't really check-fold it either since he can hold basically anything.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Villain checks.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, Villain calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villain calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Cerril
12-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Moving backwards, if your read is accurate, that he would bet with worse as well as better hands, and would call with worse as well as better hands, then I think your river play is fine. Anything other than folding is fine, though, unless he'd be likely to check through a non-pair but not fold one to a bet.

The turn is a little sticky. It's basically you and two others here. If you're sure that villain will bet with nothing and that the other two aren't going to bet with less than something, you could consider a checkraise or checkfold. If Villain bets you can get out the other two, if one of them bets you can consider yourself behind and fold.

I'd have been tempted to bet the flop instead of the turn, if I got raised here I'm almost certainly behind (excepting some improbable holdings and some uncommon betting) and if I don't improve on the turn I can get out for half a bet less.

I'm not sure I like the isolation here. The success of your plan would have been nice, but it seems far more common that UTG and MP1 are coming along for two more bets now. That just seems SOP for this limit.

JimRivett
12-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Usually the best place to isolate someone is when you have position on them, so I think it's going to be difficult to isolate the button preflop with 2 limpers between you. Without any read on the other players, I would tend to call preflop and see what develops.

With that flop and the others in the hand I'm checking.

He may hold "basically anything", but he's called your turn bet, so I'd check the unimproved river.

Jim

mistrpug
12-06-2004, 11:59 AM
You say you tried to isloate, but do you really think either of the limpers will fold after putting a bet in?

Fat Nicky
12-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Strange hand.

The only thing I might do differently is check/call the river. Maybe he checks, maybe he bets with a worse hand like AT.

Fat Nicky
12-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Oh, I don't like the isolation attempt cosidering you'll be out of position the entire hand.

wuarhg
12-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Yeah, this hand was a disaster pretty much. Good thing I posted it and learned something /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sarge85
12-06-2004, 12:11 PM
What was your thinking on the flop?

Check with the intention of ???????

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

wuarhg
12-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Calling.

Sarge85
12-06-2004, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.

wuarhg
12-06-2004, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

null
12-06-2004, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Strange hand.

The only thing I might do differently is check/call the river. Maybe he checks, maybe he bets with a worse hand like AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If you're up against a LAG who will bluff a lot, and you're not sure your hand is good, checking the river with the intention of calling is often a good play. Gives them a chance to bluff. If he raised the river here, you'd be in a tough situation.