PDA

View Full Version : Non-Stop Marathon of Girly Books

Tron
12-06-2004, 06:41 AM
Well, since I'm extremely lazy, and this is the week before finals, it looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of reading. I have to read the following books, many of which are... Really, really effeminate.

Pride and Prejudice - Austen
Wuthering Heights - Brontė
Daphnis and Chloe - Longus
Tristan - Von Strassburg
Dora: An Analysis of a Case of Hysteria - Freud

It won't be easy, but with a little luck, I'm sure I'll be able to preserve my sanity and masculinity.

nicky g
12-06-2004, 06:47 AM
Wuthering Heights is great. Pride and Prejudice is OK if you like that sort of thing. I don't. Better wipe your arse with the Freud than read it.

Tron
12-06-2004, 06:50 AM
I actually read at least a few chapters of each of the books when they were assigned for discussion. I thought Wuthering Heights was pretty interesting. Pride and Prejudice didn't do it for me. I started Freud, but wanted to kill myself approximately 10 pages in. I don't know what it is, but I find it extremely difficult to read. Oh well, guess I'll have to tough it out.

Q8offsuit
12-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Yo, what up?

I'm an English grad student so I've had to read some stuff that's a lot more "girly" and boring than the stuff you cite. Try to read a Zimbabwean Feminist/Marxist short story, half of which is a graphic description of a back-alley abortion. Yeah, that class sucked.

I've never heard of the third piece you mention (I'm assuming Greek or Roman classic?) But the rest of the stuff (with the exception of Freud) is pretty darn readable.

Just please try to keep an open mind. I've discovered some great literature once I got past my phobia of "girly" books! /images/graemlins/grin.gif