PDA

View Full Version : help!

RawPalm
12-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Beginner, read a couple of books, struggling at the 25c/50c tables. don't think i play out of position, i raise with strong hand to protect them, try and watch peoples actions, but i just can't seem to get off the ground. what else do i need to do?

AngryCola
12-06-2004, 08:00 AM
Let me ask you this...

Have you considered using the force?

aron
12-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Play a lot of poker at levels where you can afford to be a loser.
No matter how easy it may sound in books to beat small stakes you need practise.

Post hands you think you misplayed, you are at the right place to get help with your game.

Read and study.

Good Luck - aron

SheridanCat
12-06-2004, 01:48 PM
1) Which books?
2) It's not always right to raise with strong hands
3) What's your bankroll? .25/.50 might be too high.

Can you post a hand history of a hand you think you played properly? Also, perhaps, of one where you think you played poorly?

Also, read the micro and small stakes forums.

Finally, you have to practice. Reading some books will not make you a winner, but it will move you along the road to winning.

Regards,

T

deacsoft
12-06-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Which books?
2) It's not always right to raise with strong hands
3) What's your bankroll? .25/.50 might be too high.

Can you post a hand history of a hand you think you played properly? Also, perhaps, of one where you think you played poorly?

Also, read the micro and small stakes forums.

Finally, you have to practice. Reading some books will not make you a winner, but it will move you along the road to winning.

Regards,

T

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent post. Good work. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PoBoy321
12-06-2004, 04:19 PM
I've found that the best place to perfect your low stakes game is at the micro-limit level. UBet has blinds as low as .01-.02, .05-.10 and .10-.25. The players are bad but not THAT bad, but it's a good way to get to a level where you can play against bad players well.

RawPalm
12-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I read Ken warren's guide to holdem, one of mike caro's books, phil helmuth "play like the pro's" and one other book can't remember the author.

SeanSkill
12-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Pick up Lee Jones Winning Low limit Hold'Em, it is going to be the quickest way to learn what you need to know. Small Stakes Hold'em probably has more detailed information and you will want to read this as well, however WLLH is a lot shorter than SSH, and will get you started in the right direction quicker.

OrianasDaad
12-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Regardless of what other players say, Ken Warren's advice in his book seems mostly to be sound. I think it it is a good jumping off point for someone just picking up the game. Quickly move on to new books, however, so you can test yourself by going back and seeing where Mr. Warren went wrong.

I'd recommend picking up John Vorhaus' Killer Poker Online, as it is geared specifically to playing the online game, but without any poker strategy. Specific advice that he gives in his book that might help you are: Abandon your bluffs, don't sit at a table where the majority of players are better than you, and Know Thyself. The last two will require some skill, patience, and not a small amount of work to accomplish - but it's worth it. It's a good read, too.

Small Stakes Hold'em (SSHE) by Ed Miller is very good, but you should probably read Theory of Poker and Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky first. SSHE states in it's opening paragraphs that it is for advanced players, mabye save that for last.

Read these forums, especially the numerous posts of hand histories where players discuss the play of the hands. Post your own hands for discussion. You'll often find illuminating advice from the many experts that post regularly here.

As far as advice of my own. I'd suggest moving down to the nano-limits, or even play money, until you get a bead on your play. Online Poker isn't going anywhere, and patience is (in my opinion) the #1 trait of the successful poker player. Wait until you know more about the game.

One last note. If you are short on cash for books, try your local library. I checked out Theory of Poker from my library when I first started playing, and many libraries are picking up more poker books. I think all the books I mentioned are worth owning, however.

Dave H.
12-06-2004, 05:42 PM
I am also a beginner, but I can tell you that you MUST read Small Stakes Holdem (known as SSH around here). Since I read that and started posting here, I have been winning quite a bit IN MICROLIMIT GAMES.

My personal recommendation is smaller limits. Someone said the .01/.02 games at Ubet I believe. I would recommend the .02/.04 games at Paradise Poker. Sign up for a free money account there and wait a few days and you will be given $2 free to play on the real money tables. That's 50 big bets at the .02/.04 tables. Play very tightly so you don't go broke until you get it to about $5 and then loosen up some.

I personally believe it's paramount that you read the aforementioned book and read the many valuable posts here as well AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS.

smoore
12-06-2004, 06:50 PM
I think 7sultans gives free money too, but I hate thier software.

AngryCola
12-06-2004, 07:27 PM
What do you mean good post? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I thought my suggestion to use the force was sound advice. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Actually, I just gave the force answer because the OP was pretty vague. I actually tried to think of ways to answer the OP, but I couldn't come up with anything besides

"Use the force"

I have no idea how to answer questions like that. I mean, three are a lot of different things the OP could be doing wrong that I could help with. Or... if I knew which books the OP has read, I could recommend where to go next.

I just need a little more info. to help out, or else any answer I could give would be just as vague as the one I ended up posting. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS- Don't go with Ken Warren (anything but that)