PDA

View Full Version : Yuengling Sound-off!

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 03:45 AM
I tell people all the time on the different forums I'm on about my favorite beer, Yuengling. I can get it easily in Pittsburgh but others have never heard of it.

If you can get it in your area, please say so and where. I'm trying to get a feel on how far the brewery has expanded.

Also, if you've never heard of Yuengling, please also state where as that will help too.

If you've never heard of Yuengling, it's a family owned Brewery located in Eastern Pennsylvania about an hour or so west of Philly. It's America's oldest brewery and they have several different kinds of beer. My favorite is Yuengling Tradition Lager. I have really yet to meet a person who doesn't like it.

PoBoy321
12-06-2004, 03:48 AM
I just posted on the Molson Ice post that Yuengling is my favorite beer. I'm in DC right now, and I've never had any problem finding it here, or at home in NJ. I've never known anyone who's tried it and said they didn't like it. A canadian friend of mine who's a huge beer snob and thinks that anything other than canadian beer is piss says that Yuengling is the only american beer he likes.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 03:49 AM
my brother tried it while on the east coast, he liked it a lot. I have never seen it or heard of it.

jasonHoldEm
12-06-2004, 05:14 AM
Yuengling is second only to Sierra Nevada in my book.

mistrpug
12-06-2004, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you've never heard of Yuengling, it's a family owned Brewery located in Eastern Pennsylvania about an hour or so west of Philly. It's America's oldest brewery and they have several different kinds of beer. My favorite is Yuengling Tradition Lager. I have really yet to meet a person who doesn't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Philly and actually visited the Yuengling Brewery two summers ago. It was fantastic. They even give you two free samples at the end of the tour. They have a pretty big and very reasonable gift shop where I bougt a t-shirt and a bunch of stuff for my bar. When I was on the tour, they said the farthest they ship to is Florida.

My local neighborhood bar has pints of Lager and Premium Light for $2 and $1.50 respectively. I couldn't live without it.

sfer
12-06-2004, 10:42 AM
It's all over the NYC area. Good stuff. It's the standard fridge stocker for a number of friends.

Peca277
12-06-2004, 11:13 AM
I moved to DC from Buffalo about a year ago and Yuengling became my new favorite beer. In the past year since I've been here though, it became available back home and everybody there loves it too.

nicky g
12-06-2004, 11:22 AM
I drink Yuengling in the States and I like it quite a lot. My parents in law have started to stock the fridge with it when I come to visit (they rock, especially as they don;t even drink). A beer snob friend of mine frowns on it though.

UTGunner
12-06-2004, 11:24 AM
List of Distributors. (http://www.yuengling.com/distrib.htm)

Unfortunately, Massachusetts is not on the list.

Leo99
12-06-2004, 01:40 PM
I don't much care for Yuengling. I'm a certified beer geek and a lot of my geeky friends like it but not me. I taste too much of the corn in it. Give me an SNPA or a Hop Devil.

I'd rather have a Coors light than a Yuengling.

mistrpug
12-06-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a certified beer geek

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have a Coors light than a Yuengling.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like saying: "I'm a certified poker geek but I'd rather play Go Fish than poker."

Leo99
12-06-2004, 01:54 PM
What can I tell you? I just don't like Y. There's something in it that my tastebud are particularly sensitive to.

B00T
12-06-2004, 03:15 PM
I used to work for Sam Adams and Yuengling was a major player in our industry.

They are mostly on the East Coast with their brewerys in PA as already stated.

Their prices for kegs run about $55/keg but have the stigmatism attached to them as a "better beer" ala Heineken, Corona, Sam Adams, Bass, etc.

Bars love Yuengling because while it costs them the same as bland beers like Bud, Coors, etc they can charge at a higher level due to its perception. In off premise places it is sold as a low end beer with the same prices as Bud in 6 packs etc, but the bar population has not caught on. Any bar owner that could get away with charging $6 for a pint of Bud would make a killing. That is essentially what is happening with Yuengling. They can charge the Heineken/Sam prices with a crappy product. It would be like if teenie boppers though Old Navy was on the same status as Abercrombie and sold their clothing for those prices.

Yuengling was stealing tap lines left and right from Sam Adams, Heineken etc...It was the highest profit margin for bar owners. Yuengling recently started hiring more sales reps and I assume they will slowly start moving out west. The results in the East have been magnificent and they dont have an Eastern stigmatism attached to them. They are just a micro-brewery with a popular product and need the capital to expand.

BTW, I live about 30 miles north of NYC and worked for Sam Adams covering that area and in Jersey and NYC Yuengling is running rampant.

Edit: The reason it is thought of as a higher end beer is because it is so dark. It has the amber color of a Bass yet the ingredients of a Bud. Whether this was marketing, or just the malt, it was ingenius. I am unsure what will happen to them as the public becomes more aware of the price differential and the true ingredients. AS of now, they dont seem to mind.

Q8offsuit
12-06-2004, 03:31 PM
It is also all over the NC coast, Nags Head, the Outer Banks, etc. Every single bar there has it on tap. The first time I had ever even heard of it. I was not very impressed, but apparently Yuengling has penetrated that far south.

PhatTBoll
12-06-2004, 03:36 PM
It is plentiful in upstate NY and central Virginia. It's ok but I would usually rather have something else.

jar
12-06-2004, 05:48 PM
When I'm not at school in MA, I live in the Philly burbs. Yuengling is dirt cheap in this area, and I like it a lot for what it is. I love fancier stuff from breweries like Victory, Dogfish Head, Unibroue, etc. But when I'm eating burgers or pizza or whatever and just want a decent beer that's much better than Bud/Miller/Coors and co, it's just the thing. There's a bar a mile from my house that sells 12oz Yuengling drafts for $0.85. I pay about $17/case for bottles.

lu_hawk
12-06-2004, 05:59 PM
I went to school in Eastern PA. Piss water like Milwaukee's Best and Meister Brau were the party beers but at the bars Yuengling was the most popular. It is a good beer and I drank a lot of it because whenever my friends ordered pitchers it would always be Yuengling but I was never crazy about it. I haven't seen it out here in the Bay Area since I moved here. My favorite beer at school but that I can't get now was Honey Brown. I don't even know who makes that.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
List of Distributors. (http://www.yuengling.com/distrib.htm)

Unfortunately, Massachusetts is not on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the only places that have it though. I was watching that Nick & Jessica show on MTV one day and they were at a California restaurant. Nick was playing around with one of those ads in plastic and the top said Yuengling on it. So I can only assume somewhere in Cali serves Yuengling.

Tyler Durden
12-06-2004, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It is also all over the NC coast, Nags Head, the Outer Banks, etc. Every single bar there has it on tap. The first time I had ever even heard of it. I was not very impressed, but apparently Yuengling has penetrated that far south.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. He said penetrated.

This beer rocks. Good thread.

jdl22
12-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Hmm let's see. I had two last night at a bar in Shadyside called the Shady Grove while watching the Steelers win ugly. We first went to a hole in the wall type place whose name I can't remember. I've also had Yuengling at Doc's in shadyside, Hemingway's and Fid or faddle (or whatever that place is called next to Uncle Sam's subs) in Oakland, the pleasure bar in Bloomfield, which sadly isn't a strip club, and that bar and italian restaurant in Bloomfield which is a little farther uphill and across the street from the crappy foodland on Liberty. Also I've picked it up from a couple of different beer shops (so obscenely lame that I can't pick up beer at Giant Eagle and such) in town. Oh yeah, also at The Elbow Room in Shadyside and possibly at the Havana Club I'm not sure. Also, I just thought of another, the place upstairs from the Pittsburgh Deli off of Walnut near the Victoria's Secret.

I may have missed a few but that should lead people on their way.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just thought of another, the place upstairs from the Pittsburgh Deli off of Walnut near the Victoria's Secret.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pittsburgh Deli is my Sunday Night spot. They usually have a couple DJ's spinning hip-hop. Nice place to just chill out, hear some great music and drink some beer with the buddies.

Homer
12-06-2004, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tell people all the time on the different forums I'm on about my favorite beer, Yuengling. I can get it easily in Pittsburgh but others have never heard of it.

If you can get it in your area, please say so and where. I'm trying to get a feel on how far the brewery has expanded.

Also, if you've never heard of Yuengling, please also state where as that will help too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeungling is highly overrated. The Black and Tan is pretty good, though.

I've also never met anyone who didn't like it, but I'm from Allentown, so I think there's some sort of stupid twisted pride thing going on.

PittRounder
12-07-2004, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've also had Yuengling at Doc's in shadyside, Hemingway's and Fid or faddle (or whatever that place is called next to Uncle Sam's subs) in Oakland

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called Fuel and Fuddle, and since you're a Pitt student, it's a crime that you don't know this. Go there after 11 for their half price special every night. Get the Grilled Psychedilic, you won't be disappointed.

Yuengling rules. Try the Porter.

Rick Diesel
12-07-2004, 11:01 AM
I am also from Pittsburgh, and Yuengling is my favorite beer. I just built my own beermeister about two months ago, and since have had nothing but Yuengling in it.

Pretty much every one of my friends drink it. My wife even likes Yuengling, although she usually drinks some light beer.

Rick Diesel

Drac
12-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Never heard of it and we don't have it in Minnesota. My beer geek buddy has had it before while visiting out East and compares it to Leine's or Pabst, a step up from Coors, Bud, MGD, or Rolling Rock. Solid, not spectacular.

IndieMatty
12-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Yuengling is awesome and it's available everywhere in NY State and the surrounding Tri-State area. Many bars have it on tap too.

Always thought it was a philly beer.

mistrpug
12-07-2004, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Always thought it was a philly beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The brewery is in Pottsville,PA not far from Philly.