PDA

View Full Version : Hey Pros: What do you do about health insurance?

SuitedSixes
12-06-2004, 03:07 AM
I am contemplating leaving my current job and doing contract work. My big concern is losing my health insurance for my wife and daughter. What do those of you not working for "the man" do about insurance?

deacsoft
12-06-2004, 03:16 AM
I just eat the bill and pay for it. I consider it overhead.

Non_Comformist
12-06-2004, 03:17 AM
cross my fingers but I don't have others to worry about. Big difference.

scrub
12-06-2004, 04:20 AM
There's a very good thread in the archives about this stuff.

El Diablo posted links to a few insurers who had plans for self-employed people.

scrub

theantelope
12-06-2004, 04:24 AM
I have a Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO (which lets you use any doctor you want [though still discounts apply for in-network docs]) with a $5,000 deductible. It's only $72 a month. Yes, I'm only 23 and in good health (knock on wood), but the high deductible plans are really affordable. The key with *any* insurance is to take the highest deductible that you could afford to pay without it being catastrophic to your finances. This is a mathematical truth.

Alobar
12-06-2004, 05:10 AM
I've got BCBS as well, I opted to pay more a month with a much lower deductible tho.

jasonHoldEm
12-06-2004, 05:12 AM
I live in a germ free bubble.

Rick Nebiolo
12-06-2004, 06:23 AM
Look for stuff I posted on the topic within the above mentioned threads or related threads (too tired to find the link(s) now).

Generally speaking, health insurance for self-employed or small businesses is fine as long as you don't develop a sickness or health problem that requires continuing care or increased long term risk. If you do you are screwed.

You may also want to look up Jane Bryant Quinn (she used to have a column in Newsweek) for information on the "death pool" and related matters.

~ Rick