PDA

View Full Version : CFB Pix Week 1

08-25-2001, 12:59 AM
Can't count Louisville squeaker (-20.5) since it's after the fact. Tomorrow like 2 picks:

Wisky -10.5 Va. New coach, new QB, 1st road game: recipe for disaster as the Groh era (error?) gets off to a miserable start vs HC Alvarez's Badgers. Wisky likes to pound, pound, pound and should they get up early, UVA is in big, fat, trouble against experienced Badger secondary. Wisky 34-10

Tulane +11 BYU. Why is this line going up? Does the public really think the post-Lavell Edwards era is going to be that good? Maybe this is a play on altitude? Tulane with a experienced QB can score, while BYU, despite having home field, has an inexperienced receiving corps. I'll grant you that the Green Wave has never been synonymous with great D, but my line says it should be 5. 11 is too many points. Last team with the ball wins. BYU 38-34.

Georgia Tech -7 Syracuse. How much will Ralph Freidgen be missed at Ga Tech this season? Hard to tell early-on. What we DO know, is that Tech QB Godsey missed him big-time in the bowl last year. Hopefully, enough time and spring practice has helped. Where I think the Jackets will excel is on the defensive side of the ball. They are going to have a kick-ass D and Cuse with an inexperienced QB looks to be in for a long day. I have the the line as 13 - 7 is a huge value IMO. Tech 27-7

Also, taking Colorado on the money line. Line move has me concerned, but no way I can see Bulldogs beating Buffs in Boulder. Colorado is loaded and talent disparity is huge.

Two other interesting close non-plays - TCU +31 is tempting, but new HC making debut in Lincoln is a friggin sledgehammer to the chops. Still, I thought 27 was the right number - 31 is high, and maybe a trap number. Given Nebraska's lofty national championship hopes,it could easily be a Husker early season statement game - like 54-7 or something in that range. So I pass.

NC +21 Oklahoma. Conventional wisdom is that Sooners, without Huepel should be way down - I think they'll be down, but this is a home game against a ACC team without much offense, with a coach making his debut on the road - traditionally a very tough spot. Oklahoma could blank these guys, even with their losses on defense. I think Oklahoma wins, but will they score enough to cover? They could - and my gut tells me 17-3 is just as likely as 31-3, so I pass.

08-25-2001, 01:01 AM
....like 4 pix - 2 almost picks