PDA

View Full Version : Pre-flop: Hands to cap with after being 3-bet

SlantNGo
12-06-2004, 02:21 AM
I'm finding myself very unsure as to what hands I should cap with after being 3-bet pre-flop. Take the following situation:

Party 0.5/1. Hero is in MP1.
1 limper, Hero raises with TT, 1 cold-caller, Button 3-bets, SB folds, BB & Limper cold-call, action to Hero.

What range of hands would you cap with here vs. a passive pre-flop player (<5% PFR) and an aggressive player?

Against a passive player, I find myself only capping with AA-QQ and AKs. I can't see a passive pre-flop player 3-betting here with anything besides these four hands and maybe JJ and AKo, so something like JJ, TT, AKo, AQs, etc. I would just call with.

Against an aggressive player, I might also cap AKo and JJ.

Shillx
12-06-2004, 02:31 AM
The bigger the pot becomes, the more you should cap IMO (the less you gain through deception). I will usually not cap at all if the pot is shorthanded and I can get my opponent(s) to overplay their hand(s).

With 5 playes seeing the flop I will cap AA-QQ and AK everytime (unless I had a real nice read that the guy only 3-bets aces or something). Against an aggressive 3-bettor and 3 "bad" callers I will also cap JJ and probably AQs for value (maybe even TT).

Shill

SlantNGo
12-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that my JJ is most likely behind when being 3-bet by a passive pre-flop player? I'm not calling for deception purposes but for fear that I'm behind the 3-hands I can see a passive 3-betting with: QQ, KK, AA, and AK. Usually with JJ, if an A or K shows up on the flop, I would probably even drop my hand there. Too weak?

Shillx
12-06-2004, 06:39 PM
With 5 players seeing the flop, I won't cap JJ against a passive PF 3-bettor.