PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh football

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 02:13 AM
how the [censored] is an 8-3 team in a BCS bowl? Ridiculous.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OH IT IS SO ON...

Where were you when FSU played in the Sugar Bowl in 2002 with the great record of 9-4?

Where were you when LSU played in the Sugar Bowl in 2001 with the great record of 9-3?

Where were you when Purdue played in the Rose Bowl in 2000 with the great record of 8-3?

Where were you when Stanford played in the Rose Bowl in 1999 with the great record of 8-3?

Where were you when Syracuse played in the Orange Bowl in 1998 with the great record of 8-3?

I'm sick of people saying how horrible it is that Pitt's in a BCS Bowl. Where were you the last 6 years (excluding last year)?

theredwave
12-06-2004, 02:41 AM
Seriously, even the Huskers beat them. And it was at home for them. They did have a good second half of the season but they aren't a BCS team. Somehow they manage to win a weak division and get a seat into a BCS bowl when there are at least 10 other schools that deserve it.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 02:45 AM
my main beef is that the Big East has an automatic BCS bid, why do they? Thats ridiculous.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 02:49 AM
also they are 21st in the final BCS standings. This makes no sense.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my main beef is that the Big East has an automatic BCS bid, why do they? Thats ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's ridiculous is that the NCAA didn't have the balls to stop something that was ILLEGAL! They let Miami and VaTech leave the Big East without warning leaving the Big East to scramble to try to collect itself. What they did was a violation of conference rules but those didn't hold up in court to change things.

The NCAA's should have stood up though and stopped it so the LEAST that the NCAA owes the Big East is to give it a chance to recollect itself. Let's reverse the senerio and tell me what you think...

Miami and VaTech officially decided to join the ACC in July of 2003 and it starts effective the next school year So let's go back 5 months and say it's July 2004 :

Oklahoma & Texas announce they are leaving the Big-12 effective the next school year. Big-12 e doesn't add any teams in time for the 2005 football season. Would they still deserve their automatic BCS Bid?

USC & Cal announce they are leaving the PAC-10 effective the next school year. Pac-10 doesn't add any teams in time for the 2005 football season. Would they still deserve their automatic BCS Bid?

Auburn & Georgia announce they are leaving the SEC effective the next school year. SEC doesn't add any teams in time for the 2005 football season. Would they still deserve their automatic BCS Bid?

Michigan & Iowa announce they are leaving the Big-10 effective the next school year. Big-10 doesn't add any teams in time for the 2005 football season. Would they still deserve their automatic BCS Bid?

Miami & VaTech announce... okay, bad example /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now some of those you can still argue they could still hold a bid such as the SEC or Big-12 MAYBE. You can't argue that Big-10 or PAC-10 would deserve to keep their BSC Bid though if you believe the Big East doesn't deserve theirs. If what happened to the Big East happened to any of these other major conferences though, you got to give them the benefit of the doubt and a little time before you go saying they don't deserve a BCS Bid.

The Big East will be back. WVU was supposed to be a National Championship contender this year but choked. BC was supposed to be a real good team but they also choked. Conferences have their up and down years... it just so happened the teams that were supposed to do well in the Big East this year didn't do what these so called experts expected them to do.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 03:09 AM
ah thats right, I forgot about VT and Miami leaving. Be honest with yourself though, how can a conference in which the best team has an 8-3 record deserve a BCS bid.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ah thats right, I forgot about VT and Miami leaving. Be honest with yourself though, how can a conference in which the best team has an 8-3 record deserve a BCS bid.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1346654&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1

^ refer to that post!

doughhater
12-06-2004, 03:17 AM
The fact is that all this BCS crap is just a load of bullshit anyway. It's not real football unless there's some sort of playoffs to determine who the best team is.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 03:19 AM
they played in better conferences

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact is that all this BCS crap is just a load of bullshit anyway. It's not real football unless there's some sort of playoffs to determine who the best team is.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OH IT IS SO ON...

Where were you when FSU played in the Sugar Bowl in 2002 with the great record of 9-4?

Where were you when LSU played in the Sugar Bowl in 2001 with the great record of 9-3?

Where were you when Purdue played in the Rose Bowl in 2000 with the great record of 8-3?

Where were you when Stanford played in the Rose Bowl in 1999 with the great record of 8-3?

Where were you when Syracuse played in the Orange Bowl in 1998 with the great record of 8-3?

I'm sick of people saying how horrible it is that Pitt's in a BCS Bowl. Where were you the last 6 years (excluding last year)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me also add that Purdue & Standford those years weren't even ranked!

Homer
12-06-2004, 08:52 PM
They suck. They needed a miracle comeback to beat I-AA Furman.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was in the beginning of the year with a 1st year starting quarterback. We are a passing team and run the ball MAYBE 10 times a game. We lost Larry and our other starter got injured for the season in spring ball. Our starting wideout, Greg Lee had a whole 10 receptions in his freshman year. Our other starting WR, a 5-8, 200 pound walk-on who caught a whole ZERO balls last year. All in all we had 210 receptions last year and had a whole 20 of those receptions returning this year. We had 8 new starters on offense and 6 on defense. It was a bad game, I'm not saying it wasn't. What matters though is we won the game, have won 6 of our last 7 (3 wins against Top25 teams) and these new starters have a full year experience under them. I fully expect a W against Utah.

This team has been doing things it's been told it can't. It can't go to ND and win. It can't beat WVU. It can't win the Big East. Beating some over-rated Utah team in a game everyone expects Pitt to get blown out is just yet another thing the experts say Pitt can't do.

Tyler Durden
12-06-2004, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's I-AA Furman that just lost to my alma mater,
James Madison University (VA) in the I-AA playoffs. The JMU Dukes advance to the national semifinals on Saturday where they'll play William and Mary! Go Dukes!

stabn
12-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Actually i remember a lot of complaints about this one:

"Where were you when Purdue played in the Rose Bowl in 2000 with the great record of 8-3?"

Homer
12-06-2004, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's I-AA Furman that just lost to my alma mater,
James Madison University (VA) in the I-AA playoffs. The JMU Dukes advance to the national semifinals on Saturday where they'll play William and Mary! Go Dukes!

[/ QUOTE ]

You fuckers beat my alma mater 14-13 in the first round. You suck.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 09:09 PM
yeah, but Purdue plays in a good conference, Pitt does not.

stabn
12-06-2004, 09:15 PM
True. It was also 2001 not 2000, the huskies won by 10. So i guess the matchup wasn't too bad.

Edit: The site i looked at is kinda stupid, it's only 2001 instead of 2000 because the rose bowl was played on jan 1.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, but Purdue plays in a good conference, Pitt does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Ten Standings In 2000
Purdue 8-3
Michigan 8-3
Northwestern 8-4
Ohio State 8-3
Wisconsin 8-4
Minnesota 6-5
Penn State 5-7
Iowa 5-9
Illinois 5-6
Michigan State 5-6
Indiana 3-8

Big East Standings In 2004
Pitt 8-3
BC 8-3
WVU 8-3
Syracuse 6-5
UCONN 7-4
Rutgers 4-7
Temple 2-9

Not really much of a difference there eh? I couldn't find BCS Conference rankings for 2000 to compare the Big Ten then to the Big East now, but I did find people who use different ranking systems. They all stated that the Big 10 of 2000 was about the same as 2004 Big East.

BottlesOf
12-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Because the Big East used to be an elite conference. Then things changed. Miami and VT leaving didn't help.

Once you've given an institution power (in this case giving the Big East an automatic BCS bid) they tend to not want to cede their power.

BottlesOf
12-06-2004, 09:37 PM
The big 10 aint anything to write home about.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 09:39 PM
yes precisely, it use to be an elite conference, not anymore though. They should not have an automatic bid anymore.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The big 10 aint anything to write home about.

[/ QUOTE ]4 teams in the top 25 of the BCS, thats pretty good.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because the Big East used to be an elite conference. Then things changed. Miami and VT leaving didn't help.

Once you've given an institution power (in this case giving the Big East an automatic BCS bid) they tend to not want to cede their power.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to get sick of repeating myself. VaTech and Miami leaving the Big East was ILLEGAL! It should have NEVER happened. It wasn't anything the courts could stop but the NCAA's should have steped out and stopped it. They didn't because like everyone else, they are money grubbing whores.

Because of their lack of leadership letting something ILLEGAL happen under their watch, at the very least the Big East deserves a chance to rebuild itself. That is why they still have the bid and still deserve it.

Some of you might not know, but there are guidelines in the BCS to cover this type of thing with automatic bids. The winning conference team BCS rating is averaged over 4 years. If that average falls lower than 12, then the BCS can remove the bid.

You can say the system sucks, but Pitt and the Big East deserve the BCS bid because they followed the rules set.

Number4
12-06-2004, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to get sick of repeating myself. VaTech and Miami leaving the Big East was ILLEGAL!

[/ QUOTE ]

Illegal? I'm not sure what you're basing this on, but I wasn't aware that it was illegal to switch conferences.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Dude, I have heard you say this over and over, and what you are saying is true. I suppose that the big east will have it for 2 more years or whatever, but once those 4 years are up, that BCS bid is gone.

BottlesOf
12-06-2004, 09:59 PM
So?

You contradicted nothing I wrote, and I don't disagree with anything you wrote. (Except the illegal part, b/c I had never heard that)

I didn't know what the procedures were for removing the autmoatic bids and I hope the powers that be look into it.

BottlesOf
12-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Word.

banditbdl
12-06-2004, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WVU was supposed to be a National Championship contender this year but choked.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this statement is that about 90% of the reason why people felt WVU might be a National Championship contender this year was because people looked at what was left of the Big East, realized it was terrible, and figured what looked like a good but far from great WVU team might be able to run the table.

Mano
12-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Now you pissed me off. Utah at 11-0 is over-rated and Pitt belongs in the BCS? Check out Pittsburg in the Sagarin (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt04.htm) rankings - a stellar #52. Your 3 "Top 25" wins are by 3 pts. each over mediocre BC, ND and WV. Pisses me off that after all they had to go through to make the BCS, Utah doesn't get a quality opponent so we can find out how good they are.

theredwave
12-06-2004, 10:37 PM
I agree with Mano here. Pittsburgh will get absolutely dominated by Utah, they have no chance. Of course we have to wait till Jan 1st so you can talk all you want about how good Pittsburgh is up until they get dropped by Utah.

IggyWH
12-06-2004, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to get sick of repeating myself. VaTech and Miami leaving the Big East was ILLEGAL!

[/ QUOTE ]

Illegal? I'm not sure what you're basing this on, but I wasn't aware that it was illegal to switch conferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is when you break conference by-laws that you agreed to and sign when joining a conference.

1)Miami, Syracuse & VaTech ILLEGALLY had conversations about joining the ACC without notifying the Big East. Direct violation of league by-laws.

2)VaTech ILLEGALLY had a visit with the ACC to try to lobby themselves with the expansion. Another direct violation of league by-laws.

3)ACC invited presidents from these schools to come visit and talk with them about joining ACC. A violation of NCAA by-laws.

There is more but I got a little too much New Castle running thru the veins. They broke conference and NCAA by-laws with the expansion but none of which could hold up in court and the NCAA is gutless and wouldn't stop it.

2)

IggyWH
12-07-2004, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now you pissed me off. Utah at 11-0 is over-rated and Pitt belongs in the BCS? Check out Pittsburg in the Sagarin (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt04.htm) rankings - a stellar #52. Your 3 "Top 25" wins are by 3 pts. each over mediocre BC, ND and WV. Pisses me off that after all they had to go through to make the BCS, Utah doesn't get a quality opponent so we can find out how good they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

For one, it's Pittsburgh with an H! How can I have an argument with someone who can't even spell a city name right?

All Utah had to go through? Have you seen their schedule? I'm not taking anything away from them because they have won 11 games, but those 11 wins are a joke. Only decent win was against A&M. The rest of the schedule was a complete JOKE! To think that Utah is this almighty team and is going to dominate Pitt because Utah is 11-0 is just insane.

Although true SoS polls are somehwta biased against winning teams (since it takes an average of opponents ranking), if you take a look at a SoS, you'll see that Utah is DEAD LAST! DEAD LAST! DEAD LAST! Did that sink in yet? If you play the worst schedule, you better go 11-0.

You'll find out just how good Utah is when they lose to Pitt!

Mano
12-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Did ya notice the strength of schedule in the Sagarin poll above, that Utah's SOS was better than Pitt's? It's not just that Utah went 11-0, they dominated every game they played. A&M would have run the table in the Big East (Utah beat them 41-21, and it really wasn't even that close A&M scored meaningless TD with 10 secs. left). In my opinion, North Carolina, New Mexico and BYU all would probably have won the Big East, and Utah crushed them all. Talk all the smack you like, this one will be decided on the field. Just sucks that after Utah waxes Pitt, people are still going to be saying they didn't play anybody. They would have played a much better team had they not made the BCS and played in the Liberty Bowl against Louisville (but ya gotta take the money).

sfer
12-07-2004, 01:55 AM
De La Salle would crush Pitt.

IggyWH
12-07-2004, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did ya notice the strength of schedule in the Sagarin poll above, that Utah's SOS was better than Pitt's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, great point... let's all start looking at numbers that one of the stupid computers that got us into this whole BCS mess. Auburn 5th behind Cal and Utah? Give me a break. A 5 year old can come up with better rankings than that.

Also, to say Utah had a tougher schedule than Auburn like that retarded computer says is yet another reason to not give one ounce of weight to that stupid computer.

M2d
12-07-2004, 02:27 AM
I thought they did in the playoffs last week.

http://norcalprepscores.com./tournament_menu.asp?TID=814

PittRounder
12-07-2004, 09:33 AM
OK, I haven't posted in like 6 months but I think it's time for me to chime in.

First off, I just graduated from Pitt in August, so I'm biased. However, keep in mind that, although the system may suck, no one can make a legitimate argument as to what other Big East team should go to the BCS other than possibly 6-5 Syracuse.

This being said, I feel that Pitt is underrated by the general public due to the home loss against a bad Nebraska team, a near loss to Furman, and a loss to UConn.

In my opinion, the only loss that was representative of our current team is the road loss to Syracuse. We are a very different team today than we were after the UConn loss. At home vs. Nebraska, Tyler Palko threw 3 or 4 1st half picks; surely no one will argue that he is the same QB today.

Although I am an alum and I will forever bleed blue and gold, I will agree that it would be a joke that Pitt is in the BCS if there were no conference affiliations. I will also agree that Pitt will likely lose this game, but not in a blowout fashion. But for all the Utah supporters on the forum, if you were to pick the 8 BEST teams in college football, would Utah really rank? Who have they played? No one besides A&M the first game of the season. Could you possibly give them a higher power rating than:

1. USC
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn
4. California
5. Texas
6. Georgia
7. VT
8. Michigan
9. LSU
10. Iowa
11. Miami

If you were making a line in at a neutral field, AND you actually had to book the bets, would there be 4 teams that you would favor Utah against? I seriously doubt there's even one, and if there is, put me down for a dime. The bottom line is, if Pitt doesn't deserve a bid, neither does Utah. Hell, I'd rather see us get blown out by Cal, wouldn't you? Utah may not even be the best team not in a major conference.

In the battle of coaches....

Well that's a joke. So is Walt Harris as Big East coach of the year. Go Gators and Fire Walt.

James Boston
12-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Because the BCS is the stupidest thing EVER, and needs to be abolished.

Mano
12-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Utah would be favored over Michigan and Iowa. The line on the rest would be close (wish I could see any of those games - I really don't know what the outcome would be on any of them, a real shame we'll never find out). The point is with a similar type schedule to Pitt's, Utah went undefeated and crushed every opponent, while Pitt was fortunate to go 8-3 (5 of their wins were by 5 points or less). Nobody would be whining about Pitt being in the BCS if they had performed like Utah.

IggyWH
12-07-2004, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well that's a joke. So is Walt Harris as Big East coach of the year. Go Gators and Fire Walt.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW... not only do I have to battle the world here, I have to battle a moronic Pitt fan. You should check out Panther Lair (http://pittsburgh.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=996&fid=530&style=2), you'll fit in just great with all the other moronic "Fire Walt" fans.

Tell me, why fire Walt? The ONLY knock people had that was somewhat legit is Walt didn't get Pitt to the next level. Lets see, we won a share of the Big East, went to ND and did something that hasn't been done in 20 years for Pitt and Pitt's in a BCS Bowl and you still want to fire him?

Another knock is Walt doesn't keep local talent here. They say his recruiting is bad. How can he compete with Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and even now USC is dipping into our local talent poll? He can't... especially with moronic alum like you yelling "Fire Walt" every chance you get.

Do you guys see the type of morons I got to put up with in Pittsburgh? They think the solution to everything is FIRE THE COACH. Hell, people have been calling for Cowher's head at the end of each year he doesn't win the SB when he has one of the best winning % of active coaches over the same time.

Pitt's taking so much crap now. Just think how people will look at us when we fire a coach that took us to our first ever BCS Bowl... especially before Penn State ever got there!

Also, answer me this, if we fire Walt, who are we going to get? Zook is gone. Wanny? Who wants him! Bo Pelini? You got to be kidding me! 1 year at Oklahoma with NFL talent on defnese doesn't mean he can coach!

You sir hurt Pitt WAY more than a coach that has taken us to our first BCS Bowl. You say Fire Walt, I say Fire Alums!

PittRounder
12-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Ok, settle down. I will agree that Walt brought the program back a little. He has taken us from a perennial loser to perrenial winner. But this is the first year we've actually made a good bowl game, and the first year we've actually had a good win over someone not named Virginia Tech. As the rest of the forum stated, we got to the BCS due to a piss-poor conference, it is certainly not due to our head coach.

Can you seriouly contend that he ever has a good defense, or is even a mediocre gameday coach? He punted on 3rd down like 3 times this year, and had Palko slide on 3rd and goal from the 12 against UConn on national television so Cummings could kick from the center of the field. He had no confidence in his team that game and the final score represented this.

Also, I would just like to point out that I was the only person who tried to support your argument. Thank you for pointing out one line from my post and attacking me. I will go back to lurking now, I knew there was a reason I stopped posting.